Lighting Question

Antimony1019

I'm Addicted
I had a quick question to see if anyone has ever tried this before. We recently replaced our MH bulbs with 20+K AB DEs. Previously we were running 2, 250w 10K DEs, with 300w VHO actinic.

Since replacing the MH bulbs with 20+K I haven't liked the look of the tank (someone-who will remain nameless :)- had to put in the 20+K). We've tried turning off the 300w VHO actinic bulbs but it made the tank look dark (as opposed to just a real unnatural blue). So now we're going to try replacing the VHO actinic bulbs with 10K bulbs.

Has anyone ever ran their lighting system similar to this, and if you have what were your results??

Thanks!!!

I thought about using 20k SE bulbs with T5 sun bulbs on my next bulb change only because I still have T5 sun bulbs and didn't want them to go to waste.

Does't the big screen TV help out with the color balance?

We were thinking about trying the 13K bulbs with the VHO. I don't want to give up the VHO on the dimmer for dawn -dusk effect. Interested in what you figure, we are up for bulb changes again next month.

The big screen helps out with the color balance in the sense that now we look at the TV much more than the tank!!! :) :)

I guess the main reason for getting 10K VHOs is because they are less expensive than replacing the MHs. Our old bulbs are a year old which is why we got the 20+K bulbs. We've only had the 20+K bulbs for about a month and I don't want to spend the money to replace them again quiet yet. I'm definately going to miss the dawn and dusk effect, but the tank just doesn't look natural right now and it bugs me :).

Bass ackwards is a good word to describe this person generally speaking Nate ;) hehehe

I actually really wish they made 13 or 14K 250W DE but they don't, because a bit more blue than what is was before would be nice, but this is just WAY to blue, and kinda dark...

Giessman makes a 13-14000k....AB's are DE and 13,000k. Coral won't grow unde 20,000k bulbs all that well, especially sps... I"m running ab on my new tank, love it

OK, so I guess I didn't do my homework good enough :)... I'll definately be checking out those bulbs when we're ready to buy another set.

What is everyone's experience with the Hamilton line of bulbs??

I've heard that the 13K AB DEs are similar to the 10K Ushio DEs which is what we were running before.

I'm interested to see what will happen with the growth over time, even though the bulbs are 20K we are running 2, 250w DEs over a 92. I think that will still be plenty of light intensity not to affect the growth rate...

You might check with Armando and Paula. I believe they both had some coral mortality and loss of color when they switched to 20K MH bulbs.

Nate

I've actually noticed a significant increase in color with the new bulbs, I can't really speak to growth yet. We have a blue milli that was kinda brownish before, but over the past month has colored up very nice.

Steve Tyree said at the meeting last spring that he thought that the 20K DE bulbs were helpling his growth. We had just ordered another set of 10K bulbs,but filed this away. Just started watching the MACNA DVD's to see what they have to say.

We talked with a few people and read a few things before making the decision to go with the 20K DEs feeling confident that it shouldn't have any negative effects on the corals.

The problem is strictly a viewing problem, I think they look too blue, Mike actually prefers them. The bulbs have been on there for a month, maybe a little more and we have noticed no ill effects on the corals, and like I said before the milli that we have has definately colored up, and our purple rim cap seems to be coloring up as well. Our orange cap is filling back in (after a bout with a bad angel that was removed from the tank a few months ago), but I think that thing would grow in sewer water so I don't want to use that as an example of actual growth in the tank under the lights ;).

I'm interested in whether or not the intensity of the DEs will overpower whatever effect the 10K VHOs will have on the tank. I think we're going to try them out tonight, or tomorrow if we get home too late tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to snap some before and after pictures.

I was admireing the color of the your new SPS tank. Nice blue with no atinics. I currently have the 20K XM 250 DE with 1)75W auquasun and 1)75W atinic VHOs. While I think the color is OK my growth is slower than the 10k ushio I had prior. The thing is I like the 20k by itself. The aquasun just makes a hue of dark pink. So after seeing the 10k SE on the SPS tank I decided to give those bulbs a shot. I asked if that bulb was made in DE and you guys where not sure. After some research I came up with the 250w Aqualine Buschke 10000K HQI Bulb which I think was the same bulb you had just SE. I am going to put 2) 75w atinics with this bulb and see if my growth increases any. I am confident i will like this look but I will have to wait and see. I should get the bulbs in Tues-Wed and will give some opinion after a few hours of burn in. The following description on the bulb sold me.

"The Aqualine 10000 lamp has a color temperature of 13000? Kelvin and a high percentage of the light output is at the blue end of the spectrum. aqualine 10000 was the first metal halide lamp to simulate the light conditions of a coral reef and the new lamp with its improved long term color stability, results is an even more realistic looking aquarium. The corals show their natural colors, and the lighting encourages excellent growth. The Aqualine 10000 helps to transform your aquarium into a perfect reef tank. HQI double ended lamp."

The store is actually running the 10K+ Blueline bulb, which I think has a much bluer appearance than any other bulb with the same K rating. I think it will be hard to compare the SE to the DE, but here is a link showing the difference between different bulbs on a 250W SE. If you look at the first two pictures the first one is the AB 13K, the second is the 10K Blueline, the 10K Blueline is much more blue. The passage you pasted on the 10K DE ABs sounds promising for achieving the look you want, but I've found the K rating from brand to brand on bulbs is a significantly different look. Hopefully you'll achieve the results you're looking for. You'll have to post some pictures :)

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

NateHanson said:
You might check with Armando and Paula. I believe they both had some coral mortality and loss of color when they switched to 20K MH bulbs.

Nate

I can attest to that too.

Back