Lighting Recap at Meeting

There are a lot of variables. The easiest and most concrete thing to go by would be the PAR numbers, not the depth. Again, he was finding all sorts of things including acro milli, and a few different montis, growing under 100 or less PAR.

Milles may live and grow at 100 par, but I can say for sure that some of them ie the ORA blue mille will definately not color up to a nice shade of blue under those conditions, I have a mille that is a sick looking hot pink at decent par levels 200+ for example and if its placed low in the tank it will grow and live but it changes to a green mille, loosing its hot pink color. My point is that going by my own experience I have found that SPS may survive and even grow at 100 par but they will not show the best coloration that we strive for in an SPS tank.

Milles may live and grow at 100 par, but I can say for sure that some of them ie the ORA blue mille will definately not color up to a nice shade of blue under those conditions, I have a mille that is a sick looking hot pink at decent par levels 200+ for example and if its placed low in the tank it will grow and live but it changes to a green mille, loosing its hot pink color. My point is that going by my own experience I have found that SPS may survive and even grow at 100 par but they will not show the best coloration that we strive for in an SPS tank.

i agree.... i think milleporas may be more tolerant of lower light conditions than other acropora species, but that doesn't mean they thrive and look best under lower light...

Back