Lighting ?'s

Brewmaster

Non-member
I'm upgrading my 72G bow front reef to MH lighting and have a few ?'s.

I'm currently running 4X65 PC's and upgrading to two 250W Aqua Medic MH pendants with 14 K Phoenix bulbs.

What lighting schedule would you guys recommend and how high above the tank should I hang them?

Any other recommendations would be great also.

Thanks,

Jim

10 inches over the tank and I would run the MHs for 8-10 hrs a day and actinics for a hour or 2 before and after the MHs come on and go off

There are no atinics Ray.

Do I need to acclimate the new light to the corals in the tank? I don't want to bleach them out!!!

Jim

Well you should run them for 8-10 hours when ever you want during the day.

Get a few layers of screen (4-6 layers) and put them over the tank and each day or 2 remove a layer of screen

How is the tank doing?

The tank is going good. The overflow you put in looked like $hit, so, I wiped out all the silicone you did and re-did it myself.

Cheers,
Jim

Ya they usually come out better when the tank is empty when I put it in

The overflow you put in looked like $hit, so, I wiped out all the silicone you did and re-did it myself.

So much for sugar coating :D

I have come to the reluctant conclusion that I need to re-light my 72 as well, so I was tagging along.

The 4 bulb Nova extreme with 1 reflector I bought as a newbie ain't cutting it any more.

So much for sugar coating :D

I have come to the reluctant conclusion that I need to re-light my 72 as well, so I was tagging along.

The 4 bulb Nova extreme with 1 reflector I bought as a newbie ain't cutting it any more.

Well, I don't sugarcoat anything. I always speak my mind. It's just part of my personality that I cant/wont change

Ray helped me out a lot with drilling the tank and is a great guy. I didn't mean any harm when i said that. Hopefully you didn't take it that way.

Cheers,
Jim

Na no harm, but I did tell you before hand I didnt like drilling and putting in overflow boxes with the tank full of water, the drilling isnt so bad but putting that box in is a PITA with the tank standing up

Well out of the 3 things I did, drilled the tank, made the overflow box and glued it in 2 of the 3 things came out good :)

Back