Linkia starfish....who's got what?

The blue linkia I have is actually the 3rd starfish I tried and was going to be the last if I failed. The other 2 never made it past a couple days. I drip acclimated the 3rd linkia for over 4hrs keeping the temp stable with the main tank. Finding a healthy linkia (not stressed) was the hardest part for me.
In the couple years I have had my starfish I did noticed that whenever I add anyhting new to the tank, that has a decent amount of LR with it, the starfish will come out within minutes to "investigate" the LR. Since he is probably searching for food I occaisionally (maybe every 3-4months) will take a small (<1lb) piece of LR from my fuge and place it in the main tank. The linkia always makes a beeline for the extra LR and by the next day moves on, then I place the LR chunk back in the fuge. Not sure how much good this actually does but believe it provides extra food for the starfish. I don't have any tunicates in my fuge but I do have a ton of sponges, pods, stomella? snails (reproduce in the fuge) in there. oh and my main tank has ~80lbs LR so I dont feel I have more than the norm for LR.

Back