Live Rock Questions

AC_Rhino

Non-member
I'd like to add a few piles of live rock to my tidal pool tank.
  1. What kind of live rock should i look for?
  2. What are my live rock options?
  3. How do I get the best (stow away critter) bang for my buck with live rock?
  4. Would the live rock I can get a a PetCo or PetSmart me any good?
  5. is there a good online site for live rock?
  6. What do you guys use for live rock?
  7. Is it true that if i choose to use live coral I have to super glue it to the live rock?

Thanks

1. Most people start with dry rock these days and just get a piece of live to "seed" the dry.
2. Not sure what you're asking
3. Most think the risk of pests is is too great.
4. No (pets mart doesn't sell marine at least in my area)
5 I believe most offer some type of man made "cured"
6. I bought 40lbs of live rock from the caribbean on fosters and smith than added a bunch of dry over the years. But that was 12 years ago and I'm not sure it's sold like that anymore
7. Superglue gel plus epoxy (there are brands sold for aquarium trade or jb waterweld) works the best.

Go to dongs (dz6t) I got mine from hi it has loads of brittle stars, and tons of other microorganism and as far as I can tell no harmful ones.

Check out KP Aquatics. Nice carribean live rock, mine came with a Mantis Shrimp! And numerous other goodies including a chiton and some limpets, curlicue anemone, a crab the mantis ate, feather dusters galore, multiple colors of coralline, and tons of other cool Hitchhikers. I got the uncured which needs to be soft cycled, but the diversity is incredible and well worth it. If you want something a bit more inert and cost effective try some dry rock and inoculate it with a small chunk of LR from a reputable LFS. Don't go to petco

Check out KP Aquatics. Nice carribean live rock, mine came with a Mantis Shrimp! And numerous other goodies including a chiton and some limpets, curlicue anemone, a crab the mantis ate, feather dusters galore, multiple colors of coralline, and tons of other cool Hitchhikers. I got the uncured which needs to be soft cycled, but the diversity is incredible and well worth it. If you want something a bit more inert and cost effective try some dry rock and inoculate it with a small chunk of LR from a reputable LFS. Don't go to petco
What do you mean "soft cycled"?

It means frequently doing water changes to never allow nutrients to build up to a toxic point, so as to try to save as much life found in the rocks as possible, if you didn't perform the water changes the initial die off would trigger more die off and you would be left with diminished life that you pay a premium for when you buy quality live rock. The entire process is well documented and tutorials can easily be found with some research, like anything else in this hobby research is key.

I'd like to add a few piles of live rock to my tidal pool tank.
  1. What kind of live rock should i look for?
  2. What are my live rock options?
  3. How do I get the best (stow away critter) bang for my buck with live rock?
  4. Would the live rock I can get a a PetCo or PetSmart me any good?
  5. is there a good online site for live rock?
  6. What do you guys use for live rock?
  7. Is it true that if i choose to use live coral I have to super glue it to the live rock?
Check out Marco rocks. There are plenty of options. http://www.marcorocks.com/
Good luck with your tank.

Does anyone know of a vendor or individual around Burlington that sells nice live rock pieces I can look at? I see live rock online but I like to look at it ... plus its winter and I don't want to ship it. I don't mind a drive.

Also I have a few questions I don't think I had answered and to summarize.
  1. Are there any good local to Burlington (or even a drive) vendors or individuals selling live rock and other items I can look at to build my landscape.
  2. What is seeding?
  3. I know I've been told that you superglue the coral/anemone to the rock to build your aquarium look and landscape ... but how do you do that if the live rock and everything you would be gluing the coral to is underwater?
  4. What is a fragment?
Thanks guys. I will look at corals once I have live rock in place.

Seeding is having dry ( dead ) rock in your tank and placing a piece of live rock ( seed rock ) in there to seed it ( it just adds bacteria to dead rock )

Do not super glue a anemone. It’s foot is a muscle and it will grab wherever it feels more comfortable

You just put glue on the frag, stick it in the tank there will be a layer of film on the glue that you will need to break, but then it will just stick to the rock. Use super glue gel any brand will work as long as it's a cyanoacrylate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hundreds lbs of live rock and I am in Concord MA

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful responses. I appreciate it very much.

dz6t, I will PM you in a week or so to see if you are available for me to take a trip down and see what you have if that is ok. This would be such a great help to me. Thank you.

Sounds good

Back