Living Sea + new fish == multiple deaths

tmorsey

Bruschi
I bought a diamond goby from Living Sea in Stoneham last week. 2 day later the goby was belly-up. 4 days after that, my royal gramma was belly-up. The gramma has been in my tank and healthy for 9-10 months. Is there any recourse for me to go back to Living Sea and ask for a full refund? Is this just part of aquarium life? Has anyone had bad luck or a similar experience w/fish at Living Sea?

I wouldn't complain except that the salesmen at LS sort of talked me into buying this fish and even gave me a $6 discount to buy him. I was going to muy another type of goby when he said I would be better off with the diamond goby and offered the $6 discount.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Tony

Because of the dificulty of saltwater, most petstores do not have a guarantee on SW fish( I don't know about LS). If the fish doesn't look really good, don't buy it. Watch it eat in the store.
You really can't blame them for the death of the other fish because a simple QT procedure would have avoided the death. Not everyone is as strict with QT as we should be, but you can't balme the store if you don't do it.

Also, I would recomend not believing anything someone at the LFS (or really anyone for that matter) tells you about the sutability or health of a fish without a little research on your own. Even the best, most knowlegeable people make mistakes and have misconseptions. LFS employees have a stake in sounding like they know their livestock and selling it to you.

Are you sure the goby death wasn't your fault?
Acclimation, water quality, etc...

I agree with Cindy, you should get yourself Scott Michael's fish book and never leave home without it, or at least when you're fish shopping.

I heard that there's currently a bad berchlinella (sp?) outbreak from certain wholesalers.

Steve

Last edited:
tmorsey said:
Is there any recourse for me to go back to Living Sea and ask for a full refund? Is this just part of aquarium life? Has anyone had bad luck or a similar experience w/fish at Living Sea?

Tony

I would say it would have been worth a call BEFORE you came here and posted this. But at this point if I was them, id tell you go.... Just my .02 It is always best to deal with a seller/store in private 1st and then and only then make a public display like this if you are unhappy with the results. Or better yet make a public post of the good results you got when you called them.

Sad but True

Tony,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but regrettably, you have little to no recourse in this situation.

The only thing you can do, you already have done, and that is post with your story here. Everyone reads this board and takes note.

The LFSs in the BRS spehere of influence area are a rarity in these days of Monopoly. The local LFSs, all small businesses, must compete in a consumer-driven economy. What I mean by that is that there are multiple, competing sources of supply in the region and we are a very educated, intracommunicative source of demand. Moreover, being small bisinesses, the management is not that far out of earshot. They read these boards too. The bottom line is that no one can really make a long term business of s***ing you over here. If they do, they might as well give up on selling saltwater fish. Once you get a reputation on this board, it is hard to change. I definitely try to support my LFS and avoid buying online from large businesses or from the big chains as much as possible, even if it means paying more.

As for the future, well, first, Cindy is absolutely right. We all should quarentine our fish. Whether we do or not is entirely up to us, but failure to quarentine puts the blame solely on us.

Second, be very skeptical of LFS clerks. If you feel like a clerk is giving you the hard sell, then that is the biggest warning sign to stop what you're doing and go somewhere else. He or she shouldn't have to sell you a fish, you should want to buy him. There are plenty of other LFSs.

Third, never make an impulse buy. If you really want the fish but are uncertain of his health, put a deposit on him and ask them to hold him for you. Most LFSs have no problem doing this, especially if the fish has just come in and is not eating. Tell him you're concerned about health, so you'd like to come back in two weeks. I have done this. If a LFS refuses to do this, then simply leave and go somewhere that will.

Fourth, ask questions. Lots of questions. Ask how long they've had the fish, where was he captured from and/or was he cyanide caught (the location of capture can infer cyanide capture), is he eating, can you see him eat, what food are they feeding him, and so on.

Then, if everything checks out, go ahead and buy the fish, but realize that in this business, once you walk out the door, there is no recourse. Although the lack of recourse seeminlgy helps the business, it really helps the fish. Saltwater fish are much harder to care for, and having a no refund policy, while certainly originated to help the business, warns people away from getting into saltwater fish.

And sometimes, fish just die even from the best of sources with the best possible care.

Matt:cool:

Matt L. said:
The only thing you can do, you already have done, and that is post with your story here. Everyone reads this board and takes note.
Let me clarify and agree with Stan Gates, that it is best to try and resolve the matter in private first before posting here with your story.

Matt:cool:

stevenp said:
I heard that there's currently a bad berchlinella (sp?) outbreak from certain wholesalers.

Brooklynella (just to make it easier for other people who may want to search for it)

Nuno

I would contact John the owner at Living Sea. He's a reasonable man and I'm sure you can work something out with him. FWIW, I've bought a few fish and inverts from Living Sea and have never had an issue with the quality or health of the specimens I bought.

Just for arguements sake, Fin and Feather in Groton CT. Offers a 48 hr. guarentee on salt water fish, one of the best around for a local fish store, and like Matt said, ask lots of questions...and any LFS should put a hold on any fish you want so you can watch it,I do it all the time (plus it helps with the impulse buys!) but as for impulse buys, I wouldn't have 1/2 my corals if it wasn't for those!!!!

Sorry for your loss, but maybe you could just chalk it up to a lesson learned...and maybe some of the newer people will use the info to make informed decisions about thier next purchase...

Jason

Thanks for all your responses!! All are valued.

I wouldn't normally complain or worry about a single death, even within a couple of days of purchase - s&#t happens. The thing that bothered me was that I also lost my healthy gramma within days of the death of this fish. That concerns me.

stang8s: I'm not trying to make a "public display" and damage LS. I assume this forum is for questions, stories, recommendations, and advice. All of which I was looking for - and received. Maybe I should have just said it was a LFS, but I wanted to know if others had similiar experiences at this store.

Thanks to all.

And the lesson we all need to learn (if we haven't already ) - QT QT QT !!!!

You could buy the most robust example of the hardiest species, hand caught by MAC certified divers, sold by the most reputable healthy store, a fish which you watched eat in the store, and had researched like mad, and it could still bring in something that could wipe out your tank (same goes for corals - how many of us have just plopped a coral into the tank without thinking about it, only to end up with bugs or flatworms or something else ?)

Back