Local Sponges?? ID?? - (GOM ecotype tanks)

same here (no poaching) - since almost all of the local flatfish have a size limit, and there's almost no telling what species a 1" flattie is... I've been avoiding those. I've seined up quite a few small tautog, and trapped quite a few seabass, but they all get released immediately.

I love the pic of the copepod - I used to catch a bunch of those down the cape on big pieces of floating brown seaweed. They would live for a while in the tank, but eventually the fish would hunt them down... Whenever I finally add a fuge I was planning on putting a bunch of them in there.

Where are you getting coldwater cheato ? and the ulva ? Most of the spots I've been going (south side of the cape) I see mostly brown algaes.

Have any of you ever gone to Odiome Point state park in NH ?
Awesome tidepooling - last year a bunch of us from the BAS went up there for a guided trip thru the tidepools, it was awesome. Unfortunately complete low tide was later than we were there, but even at half low it was unreal the stuff we were turning up (lots of tunicates and colonial polyps !)

redpaulhus said:
Where are you getting coldwater cheato ? and the ulva ? Most of the spots I've been going (south side of the cape) I see mostly brown algaes.

Look in between the brown algae at the holdfasts. You won't just see it floating around or on its own. Its usually under other algae where it meets the rocks. It grows and gathers there in tide pools and in deeper water. You will see small clumps of chaeto (maybe its not actually cheato but some close relative but it looks the same). I would get small clumps maybe the size of a quarter and grow them out. It grows pretty fast when it hits warmer water.

Ulva is in tide pools and shallow water as well since it needs lots of sun. Also needs cold water so it dies fast. If there are a ton of snails around you won;t find it, its snail candy. Yuo will need to wait until a moon tide low to find it below the normal tide range.

There are TONS of colonial polyps around NE. I have a bunch growing in my tank now. There are a bunch of different types of hydroids. Fortunately I am more interested in that kind of stuff. I like watching creepy stuff grow out of the sand and rocks that I never noticed before.

Last edited:
If you look in the right spots you may be able to find some anemonies too (used to find lots after big storms...) the small ones do quite well in captivity.

Look at the Lobster snorkling pic in this thread...that bug was surrounded by anenomes.

Back