Looking for equipment advice

Tmm87

Non-member
Hello,

I'm planning to set up a 40 breeder build and would love some equipment advice.

My goal is to be able to grow anything from softies to SPS, have some control over the tank (like an Apex or the loop system - I'm a total noob in that area), but still keep the system from breaking the bank.

The only pieces of equipment I've somewhat decided on is the pump(s) and lighting. It's a toss up between the Gyre or Vortech. Lights will be LEDs.

So I'm open to any suggestions and if you wouldn't mind please give some explanation for equipment choices.

Thanks in advance.

First off I have no idea what the loop system is. I use an apex and it's integral to my system.

I use cheap jebao pumps for water movement and find them about equal in reliability to other more expensive units. I wouldn't use their dc return pump though.

Other than that your write up is too vague for me to offer my opinion. Maybe ask more spacific questions?

As far as lighting you don't want my opinion on led...

In my opinion in this hoppy it is impossible not to break the bank if u want to have goals of sps but I agree with cilyjr it too vague for a 40 gal I'd personaly( opinions vary very drastically ) I'd use an apex with mp 10s Or something similar with an apex to control it with but it all depends on your aquasvape and type of tank to want there are a ton of variables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean I've spent total of thousands and thousands just with softies

Poor wording on my part I guess. I understand that it's going to cost a lot, it already has with the tank I've got going now. The current one is low tech and mostly second hand.

What I'm after is a recommendation on products and what order they'd need to be purchased in.

As for the Apex, which version? Is the new $800 one worth the cost or is the $550 classic going to handle things just fine for a while still?

If you going apex brandnew. Go with the new one .
If you getting stuff second hand find a nice one use for half a price . Just my opinion . All my tanks and equipment i got from members here and i had good luck with it with the exception of couple items that crapped out in short time .
Good luck with your new set up !

You could also look into the reefkeeper lite to start and just add the ph probe. That is very inexpensive and works well for smaller applications. The largest drawback is that you can't see your tank status remotely. If you think you are going to eventually get the Apex though than just get that from the gate so your not double buying.

From the sounds of it the Apex is it. So I'll start saving towards that. Thanks.

How about lighting? I'm pretty set on LEDs but not sure which to get or how many I'd need. I've always used T5s even on my freshwater planted tanks so very little experience with LEDs.

T5-led , mh -t5 , mh-led , mh-t5-led . Pic any combination and you cangrow watever you want .

For a 40 breeder, go with one maxspect razor 160w, a pair of hydra 26HD, one reefbreeder photon v2 32 inch, or a pair of eBay black boxes led if on a budget.

Back