looking to buy a new light need help

paul.k

Non-member
i have 2 lights in mind one is a 4x65 watt power compact lamp. the other one is a 4x54watt T5 lamp. i dont rly know the diffrence. i dont know anything about the t-5 lamps, or do i just want as many watts as i can get?

4x54W T5 will give you more LIGHT than 4x65W PC.

T5 is signifigantly more efficient and virtually everyone agrees that they just plain look better. Bulb life is also better with T5.

T5 is the newer technology, if you have the choice there is no reason to go PC IMO.

*if you do go T5, just be sure to get a set up that has individual reflectors for each bulb. That's a very big part of the effiency adantage.

So i currently have 2 x 175W MH and 1 250W MH. Would I be okay if I went with a 12x39W T5 with individual reflectors.

i have 2 lights in mind one is a 4x65 watt power compact lamp. the other one is a 4x54watt T5 lamp. i dont rly know the diffrence. i dont know anything about the t-5 lamps, or do i just want as many watts as i can get?

If the 4x54 T-5 is the Nova extreme, it has only 1 reflector, and is not that great of a light. Softies and zoas might grow under it, but don't expect to be able to keep SPS or clams

So i currently have 2 x 175W MH and 1 250W MH. Would I be okay if I went with a 12x39W T5 with individual reflectors.

Again, opinion...but it depends on the quality of the reflectors and your bulb mix.

I find that the clams I had in my 92 under 8x39T-5 with individual reflectors are much happier under the 2x250MH/2x54w T-5 fixture they live under now.

On the other hand....I have a 40g breeder that xenia is growing out of control under a NO fluorescent AGA fixture

Again, opinion...but it depends on the quality of the reflectors and your bulb mix.

I find that the clams I had in my 92 under 8x39T-5 with individual reflectors are much happier under the 2x250MH/2x54w T-5 fixture they live under now.

On the other hand....I have a 40g breeder that xenia is growing out of control under a NO fluorescent AGA fixture

what about sps?

Any SPS I had under my t-5 in the 92 needed to be in the top 1/3 of the water column to survive. All of my SPS is now in my 72, and is growing well...no matter where it is. If anything, I think my current light is overkill for a 72.

Note the disclaimer....my 92's fixture was a retrofit, and the quality of the reflectors is moderate. I ran them about 4" above the water. My intention is to upgrade the lights in the 92, depending on how much higher my 2009 tax bill is going to be.

Last edited:
I keep SPS in the upper half of my tank and they're all doing great. Noticable growth. I have SLR Icecap indiv reflectors that are supposed to be some of the best reflectors. I also keep 2 clams that are doing real good.

Also J why wouldn't you get 5-6 80W T5's? The retro kit I have from reefgeek with the SLR's are only 2.5" wide. No clue how wide a 155 is...

I keep SPS in the upper half of my tank and they're all doing great. Noticable growth. I have SLR Icecap indiv reflectors that are supposed to be some of the best reflectors. I also keep 2 clams that are doing real good.

Also J why wouldn't you get 5-6 80W T5's? The retro kit I have from reefgeek with the SLR's are only 2.5" wide. No clue how wide a 155 is...

18 on the ends 22 in the middle if i remember correctly.

lol i was looking at the nova t-5 light. i was only looking to spend about $300 i found another light i dont know if any one is farmilar with the brand or the light its self "Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture" is says "The polished aluminum is bent into 4 parabolic shaped reflectors" does that mean each buld has its own reflector and this light is 4x54

The tek light is superior to the Nova...just wish it cooled the bulbs

Jay, I have the Nova Extreme with just one reflector, and I have been able to keep all of the SPS corals from Aquaman's Instant reef without issue. Sure, the growth may not be extreme or fast, but I have certainly had growth on all the corals and have not lost any of them. And, I have a 46 gal bow front, they are at all depths of the tank. It may not be the best light, but it certainly is working better than I expected.

Just my experience.

-Mark

One of the advantages of the HO T5 lighting systems is the single bulb reflectors. Personally if I was the one buying a complete fixture it'd definately have fans incorperated and the bulbs would be overdriven by the ballast :) If it didn't have the single relectors and fans, me personally would can that fixture

Jay, I have the Nova Extreme with just one reflector, and I have been able to keep all of the SPS corals from Aquaman's Instant reef without issue. Sure, the growth may not be extreme or fast, but I have certainly had growth on all the corals and have not lost any of them. And, I have a 46 gal bow front, they are at all depths of the tank. It may not be the best light, but it certainly is working better than I expected.

Just my experience.

-Mark

well....I had 2 of them...and my SPS didn't thrive at all with it. I'm glad you've had sucess with that fixture.....but I didn't - at least with SPS.

I am running a tek 4 x 54w t-5 on my 120 (it's a secondary tank)...I rotated stuff in in from a 75 in July so it's just finishing "adjusting"...I am growing sps well in it, but I have not found a color combo with the bulbs that I like yet (running 2 10k, one aquablue, and one gm true actinic).

I'd like to upgrade the light, would sell it with the bulbs for 180.

Back