Mag Pump Question:

fishfry

BRS Member
Currently I'm running a mag 5 pump on my 120g. I went with the smaller pump because I was concerned with noise. I figured the larger the pump the louder it will be. Can anyone tell me if a mag 7 or 9 is much louder than a 5? I'm wondering because I feel like I could use more flow. In fact the output off the mag 5 is barely measurable. I am also running 3 Koralia 1400 evolution powerheads. Thanks in advance for the input.

You could also switch to a different pump like eheim. They are a bit quieter, more efficient, and don't put as much heat into the tank. If you stay with mag I don't think you will hear a big difference between your pump and a slightly larger one.

I use (2) mag 9.5's on my system... the noise is very minimal... never a good idea to skimp on the proper equipment, jus to save a little noise reduction... yes, people do care about the noise factor of some gear, but what they fail to recognize, is the importance of proper equipment in regards to the system being run properly... i would have at least a 9.5 on that tank... jmo, nothing more, GL

You could also switch to a different pump like eheim. They are a bit quieter, more efficient, and don't put as much heat into the tank. If you stay with mag I don't think you will hear a big difference between your pump and a slightly larger one.

+1 on the Eheim, but not necessarily for noise reduction. I've used Mag and they are good, but they can put a lot of heat into the tank (although that may not be such a big deal on a 120). Like Beck said, Eheims are a little quieter and more efficient (and more expensive). But they are also more reliable. After an ATO malfunction I had an Eheim 1260 run on near-dry and then bone-dry over a period of almost 48 hours. It's still going strong. I've had Mags jam up on me at strange times in the past.

Mag.drive are also standard and not metric... i have used both eheim, and mag drives... mag drives are the way to go imo... besides, even witu the largest eheim, they jus dont make them in higher output pumps... and again, u have to get adaptors or "rig" them to fit properly... i like a clean look and fit to everything...

Sounds like there is only one thing to do. UPGRADE. I guess I should have asked this question a month ago. I am using an external overflow with one drain. I think I may need to get an overflow with the double drain if I'm going to have a higher return rate with a mag 7 or 9. Back to the drawing board. Thanks to everyone for their input. Appreciate it.

Back