Magnesium high.

Just wanted to do an update on this thread. I bought a refractometer today and my salt was 1.030. You were all right. I am slowly bringing it down now. Thanks to all that chimed in!

How would you recommend brining it down? It is a 180 gallon system. How slow do I need to go? Thanks -Kevin

Well, to get it down to 1.026, you are going to have to replace around 30 gallons of your water with RO/DI top-off water. Easiest way is to do a few gallons at a time as you don't want to drop too fast. You will want to drop it over the course of a week or two I would think to be safe. Make sure you calibrate the refractometer every time you use it.

Thanks Marshall. I replaced 3 gallons slowly over a course of 20 minutes last night. I'm going to do this slowly! Thanks- Kevin

So just wanted to throw another update on here. Originally, I posted this thread because of high magnesium reading. In turn, you all have helped me come to the conclusion that my salinity was too high (1.030) I have been slowly dropping salinity and have reached 1.027 since last Friday. I have noticed a huge difference on my soft corals especially my 2 leather corals which are slowly becoming covered in polyps. I also noticed a difference in the overall color in some of my corals. They are much brighter! I just want to thank each and everyone of you for your help. I hope I can help others as you have all helped me. -Kevin

Back