marco's dry rock

nitrofish

reefing again!
Im going to be ordering some and I wanted some feedback from others that have bought some.

how much would you buy for a 125 gallon tank?

I know its very light, but I have no idea how much I should get. maybe 100lbs?I also will be adding some live rock.

200 lbs total... I think the "cardinal rule" is 1 lb per gallon. Its great stuff anyway but youll need to seed it so allocate money in your budget for some live stuff 10 or 20lbs.

I have 230 gallons total volume and will cram as much of it into my system as it can handle ... I dont think you could have too much ... and rock to reefers is like gold if you cant fit it you can always regift in trade.

Len

lactrain said:
... I dont think you could have too much
I used to think this way, but think differently now that I changed my tank. With less rock, I can now have better flow through it and better circulation all together. Plus, my tank looks much nicer. Jeff, to answer your question, I love Marcs rock. I have one giant piece in my tank and will get more eventually. But I would go down there, pick pieces out, and go more by what looks right than weight. He has some huge pieces (at least he did when I was looking for some) that might make you think of a totally different layout for your tank.

Remember that this stuff is dry and when you soak in wather it wil weigh a whole lot more. Right now I am seeding 50# of it with 35# of cured rock which I will be adding to another 45# of cured rock this weekend in my 90 gallon. The rock is pretty clean but it did cycle a little bit. I got ammonia and nitrIte readings and it took about 2 weeks for them to go down to zero.

Marc's rock is great and very light so you get a lot of rock for your money.
I would ask Marc but i think 200 might be a little too much for a 125 unless you have some space in your sump too.

It's the best looking rock I have seen, I have several large pieces aging in a 75 for new setup.

Jim

Much lighter than wet live rock. 100 pounds is a lot of stone. I got 25 pounds last summer and it filled a box that copier paper ships in. Great stuff!

In my case I needed half of the weight of dry that I would have wet, but this rock is also nice because if you get too much you can keep it dry in a closet forever or sell it any time you want. It is nice to be able to take out a colony mounted to a rock and sell it and just pop a new rock back in your tank.

Jeff,
I've got 100 lbs in my garage. You're welcome to come by and have a look and weigh a few pieces if you want, to get an idea of how much you'll need.

Steve

It all depends upon how you want your tank set up. Since it's dry rock and you don't have to worry about how you treat it in the short term I'd say buy more than you need and then just sell what you don't need later.

FWIW, other than a few seed rocks from the 110 gallon system that I was tearing down, I used Marc's rock nearly exclusively for the set up of my 400 gallon system.

stevenp said:
Jeff,
I've got 100 lbs in my garage. You're welcome to come by and have a look and weigh a few pieces if you want, to get an idea of how much you'll need.

Steve

thanks for the offer. will you be around this weekend?

Back