May '04 Frag swap

calaustraea - $10

Attachments

• Fish Pics 043.jpg
    Fish Pics 043.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 420
Another "Cousin It" coral for sale lol

I have a large piece of live rock 3/4 covered with pink Encrusting Gorgonian for sale that I can bring to the meeting. Its around 8 or 9". It can be seen in the background of the attached pic. It is quite beautiful in the current. I will also consider trading it for an equal sized piece of 'quality' coraline liverock. I will have more pieces of equal size or bigger of this great coral available soon.

I will also have smaller mounted pieces (2-3") of the same coral as well as a similar looking but longer polyped Briareum. Also I will have some red mushrooms and some freebies for newbies I am sure.

Joe

Attachments

• E.Gorgonian.jpg
    E.Gorgonian.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 411
JMAC,

If the gorgo is a non-phytoplankton specie - only light required, then consider that $30 piece is sold. I can paypal you now if you wish.

Last edited:
Pinkskunk, sent you a pm.

It never has to be fed anything more than good light for anyone else interested in a smaller piece.

Looking For Frags & Have Questions

HI Everyone!

What a great board this is - I really am looking forward to talking with a lot of you and getting some kewl stuff and hopefully selling stuff of my own at some point. Ive got a custom 90gallon acryllic with PC for lighting at over 4watts a gallon. My tanks been running since August of 2003 and I had a Nano reef since April 2002 - which I just recently sold.

Ive got a couple of questions:

1. Ive got some "junk" type on the sand. Does anyone ever vaccum there
sand and I am wondering if I should? Ive got about 40 snails that do a
good job at cleaning up crap; but there's still debris on the sand.

2. What types of salt do people use and why did they choose it?

3. Will reef Hermits kill Sand Sifting Stars? I have tried 2 times to keep a sand
sifter and both times they died. Not sure if it was the water quality at the
time or not.. our sump pump was dying at the time.

4. What kind of supplements do people use?

FRAGS:

I am looking for some good size frags.. not tiny but not huge either. Looking to spend anywhere from $10 - 25.00 per frag depending on the frag. Looking for some recommendations and what people have available.

Tank Population:

Ive got about 45lbs or so of Brazilian Live Rock and the Following crew:
1 yellow corris wrasse, 1 red fairy wrasse, 1 pair mated true perculas, 1 pair skunk clowns, 1 lantern basslet, 1 engineer goby, and 1 Hawaiin Kole Tang. Ive also got 1 Haiitain Long Tip Anenome and another anenome my Perculas Host in (forget the kind).

So thats it! Look forward to responses - thanks! :)

Welcome to the board!

(1) Regarding the schmutzig sand, there's another thread in this forum that you might want to read. http://216.235.242.50/forums/showthread.php?t=350

You could try a fighting conch. They seem to do a good job of turning over the sand. Also, what kind of snails do you have? Nassarius and Cerith species help work the sand over in my tank. A lot of folks have tiger tail cukes too, but I don't have any experience with those.

(2) I use Instant Ocean, just because it seems popular (I know, not very scientific)

(3) I don't know about the sand-sifting stars. I've got a lot of small brittle stars and my scarlet and blue hermits don't appear to bother them any.

(4) I only use Kalkwasser regularly (as top-off water), and I used Dowflake icemelter (CaCl2) to get my Ca levels in order initially.

(If you want more opinions on these issues you might start a new thread so that we don't take the Frag-Swap thread too far off topic)

Regarding frags, I'm guessing you've got 4 x 96 watt PCs? Is that right? You might want to look for corals that are tolerant of moderate light, because I'd imagine that in a 90 gallon you might have trouble giving the more demanding SPS the light they need. I'm sure the more experienced folks will weigh in soon.

Good luck with frags. There are a lot of reefers here who are happy to hook you up at minimal cost. I'm sure you'll find some good stuff.

Nate

Last edited:
I'm looking for a frag of this SPS (pic below). I believe it is a A.Tenius?

If anyone has one please let me know, Thanks

tenuis1.jpg

Welcome LittleReefer,

Just to answer some of your questions:

1) I never really vacuum my sand but I'm starting to get a lot of "junk" in my sand too. I bought 2 fighting conchs and they do a pretty good job of stirring the sand. I think I'm going to buy a tiger tail sea cucumber as well. I hear they are constantly stirring the sand.

2) I use Instant Ocean as well, for the same reason as Nate. It is the most popular so I figure you can't really go wrong with it. Just my opinion.

3) I don't have much experience with hermits because I don't keep hermits, but I don't think they would kill your star. Could just be that it happened to die because of other reasons and the hermits were cleaning up the mess.

4) I only supplement calcium because it's always being depleted by the SPS frags I keep. The salt should contain about the right amount of additives and stuff in it so if you do water changes fairly regularly, you shouldn't have to supplement anything other than calcium and alk.

I have some smaller LPS frags going for around $10 if you're interested.

Syris I will take a frag of that........JJ
But I would like to get a frag after you if anyone has any!

IF i can get them to the meeting I have one small rock with 20+ polyps of anthelia $10.00 and a bunch of loose anthelia $5.00. I will not be attending the meeting at this point. cash only sorry no trades.

I do have a way to get it to the meeting. so they will definately be available for the meeting.

Last edited:
Instant Ocean is not a great salt. It requires additives to get it up to the right levels of concentration for certain trace elements. You may want to check out some of the tests done on Oceanic salt, from what I see it may be the best salt available now. I've decided to go from IO to Oceanic, the only problem is finding a vendor for it locally. Petco sold it, but at a really high price ($25 for a 50 gallon jug!). Was able to find a 200g bucket for $57 with shipping @ http://www.thatpetplace.com/

As far as hermit crabs, they COULD kill a star, its really not a question you can say 'yes they will or no they won't' to. Crabs in general are opportunistic predators. The more well fed they are the less likely they'd be to bother killing a starfish IMO.

not too far from me at all. Are you looking to just give it away or trade/sell?

I'm basically just beginning to stock my tanks, so I have really nothing to trade.

I have just started my tank, but I have been using the Oceanic also. I buy it from the same place: www.thatpetplace.com and its been a good experience so far. The order usually takes 2-3 days and its at my door. its $39.99 plus $18 for shipping. Finding the 200g IO was just to much of a hassle for me.

Back