Micro bubbles a good thing.......?

Alex

Non-member
I've noticed a few threads on other forums talking about intentionally adding micro bubbles to tank for a few hours a day to improve water quality. This goes against my years of trying to make sure their wasn't a bubble in the display but what the heck do I know. Anyone tried this?

Seems mixed. The argument against it was mostly that it irritated coral and could potentially cause lesions in the gills of our fish. The argument for is that it raises ORP to near ozone levels (as you stated). I don't quite understand how it would be much different than running a skimmer pulling air from outside the stand.

It basically turns your entire tank to a skimmer.

It used to be called surge bucket method, lol
Surge bucket dump tons of bubbles into the tank over and over again.

One day under gravel filter will be the king again...

Never done this personally but have had my monti cap accumulate bubbles under it causing tissue death where the bubbles stayed. No serious harm done otherwise though. Imagine having more micro bubbles would cause similar problems more often.

I've noticed a few threads on other forums talking about intentionally adding micro bubbles to tank for a few hours a day to improve water quality. This goes against my years of trying to make sure their wasn't a bubble in the display but what the heck do I know. Anyone tried this?

It basically turns your entire tank to a skimmer.

its funny as I read this article http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/air-bubbles-to-improve-reef-water-chemistry
I was thinking what Dong was. We use skimmer to blow off CO2 from the output of a CO2 reactor why would it not have the same effect.
But I am not sure it is beneficial past a certain point in closed system. Especially with the salt spray issues it creates. You can
accomplish CO2 reduction with proper skimmer, surface area movement and ventilation. Most system have more than enough air exchange.
And in this case where you are not doing anything to remove the dissolved organics from the mass amounts of micro bubbles you are adding to the tank it might even reduce
your skimmers performance.
I'd look at my skimmer placement if I had organic issues and ventilation if I had if I had CO2 issues. Well I already consider them in the design stage

Just some quick thought on it, be interesting to see other take on it I just do not see it being beneficial with the amount of flow and the size of the skimmers, most keep in a reef tank.
not even taking into consideration the sump, frag tank, fuge etc benefits.

And as Dong stated its not new by any standard

Last edited:
Back