Montipora Eating Nudibranchs

wpeterson

BRS Member
I just checked my tank after lights out and found Montipora eating nudibranchs all over a 4" monti cap in my tank. I also saw one on the glass (tiny White Sea slug, maybe 2.5mm long). I'm confident in this identification.

My favorite SPS was a neon green Montipora Confusa and it began bleaching and died over the last week. I believe they ate all the tissue and moved on to the monti cap.

Clearly this is a failure in my dipping/QTing but that cat is out of the bag.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Wrasses are probably out since we have two small anemone shrimp and a Mandarin.

Should I dip/isolate my remaining Montipora and try to starve them out? How long would I need to go fallow. This really sucks - I do not have time for a big intervention these days :-(

I have Flatworm Exit and may try dosing this soon.

Has anyone had luck dosing in tank to kill these with Flatworm exit?

I've had luck using this product safely to kill off flatworms.

If you can remove the pieces from the rock, I suggest a dipping routine until you get rid of them. I had them in my frag tank once and was successful by doing this, but when I had them in my display tank, I couldn't remove the encrusted montis and lost the battle. Siphon off any adults you see and frag what you can because they are quick to destroy, plus the eggs can be hard to find. Never tried Flatworm exit, but good luck.

I would not say that Wrasses are our, you might be able to get away with a pair of Yellow Coris Wrasse, I have 3 in my 120 right now and they never bother any of my inverts. Also since the shrimp are already in the tank there is a better chance that the wrasses will just ignore them, adding more after the wrasses might be an issue.

I also have two ruby red dragnets and my wrasses do not bother them in the least.

I would definitely stay away from 6-lines and other aggressive wrasses like that.

What about a possum wrasse? Wouldn't be a problem with your other livestock, but I don't know if they are as effective against pests.

Back