More lighting opinions needed - DE XM vs AB?

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
I'm trying to finalize on the lighting for my new tank as the room is starting too take shape pretty fast.

I've changed my plans to a pair of 400 W Radiums on the PFO HQI ballasts, in the Diamond Luminarc reflectors, with 3 - 250 W 10K DE bulbs interspaced between them, in the Reef Optix III fixtures. The question is, do I use 10K XM's, or 10K AB's? I plan to use either bulb on my existing Icecap ballasts.

The AB's have a higher color temp, but I'm wondering if I will need that extra blue with the Radiums. The AB's on the Icecap ballast are not quite as bright as the XM, nor quite as efficient. That along with the price of the the AB's had me leaning toward the XM's, but now I see there is only a $10 price difference between the bulbs....decisions....decisions....

I'm trying to get away without using any VHO bulbs.

Opinions?

The lighting will be moving back and forth (slowly) on a light rail. This is on a 8ftx3ftx30" deep tank.

I'm switching over from XM to AB, if that is any indication. A lot of people are using AB. A lot are using XM. Xm is very white. You know these better than most of us :)

A better question might be, why aren't you using Giesseman (sp?) bulbs instead!!

Greg,
A few things:
A while back Jeremyr was telling me that there were all sorts of problems with AB bulbs running on ice cap ballasts. Significantly shorter life, burning out in the corner prematurely. I have seen a bulb as a result but not experienced it for myself. If icecap can give you a green light on them, then I would run AB's. Do you plan to run 20k's at all?
I was running 3x250 10k and 2x150 20k and I still wanted to add that VHO pop. If I had to choose. I?d run MH only but adding a bulb for looks is worth planning in.

any thoughts on retor the diamond luminarc to take an HQI or a dual bulb config?

I've seen the AB in reefnrolls tank run by IC ballast. I currently have the XM's on IC ballast. If I could have gotten the ABs for only $10 more..I prob would have gotten the ABs. I was finding prices like $65 for XM 10k SE and $89 for the AB bulb...I'm a cheap bastard too!! The deal maker was the results I found on JB_NY's bulb test for 250 SE bulbs.

Greg,

For what it's worth, I just switched out my XM's after just a couple months use on them. They were single ended 175's (10K) running on PFO ballast, so I couldn't compare them to the bulbs/set up you are talking about. However, I found that the XM's were way too white (even with the two URI VHO actinics). My purple rims and purple tips faded real fast under them. ALL of my corals stopped "branching" or growing at all.

For now, I have a slightly used pair of Coral-Vue 175 10K's on there. They, with the VHO actinic, are "too blue" for my liking, but the corals have responded with vigor. My purple rims are all bright purple, the purple tipped digi (which all browned) are once again purple tipped, and my German blue (purple) digi is as deep a purple as the day I bought it.

Ultimately, I liked, and will return to a Ushio 10K and URI actinic set up. It was a good balance for both asthetics and coral growth rates.

Good luck. I really envy you and your new fish room. Can't wait to see it some day.

Dave

Just to throw another option into the mix, I have been running Sun Aquatics 250W 10k's for the past 6 months. Per Sanjays testing, they have the same output as the AB's.

I personally like the color of them without any supplimentation. And, at $35 a piece, there is no better bang for the buck.

JD46 said:
Just to throw another option into the mix, I have been running Sun Aquatics 250W 10k's for the past 6 months. Per Sanjays testing, they have the same output as the AB's.

I personally like the color of them without any supplimentation. And, at $35 a piece, there is no better bang for the buck.

Where did you find those for $35 ? Do they offer SE bulbs in the same price range ?

Yeah, where for $35. I want some. I'm just setting up, and if i know I can get good bulbs at this price, that will make my decision.

All comments appreciated.

Scott,

>Do you plan to run 20k's at all?<

The 400 W Radiums are 20 K.

>that there were all sorts of problems with AB bulbs running on ice cap ballasts<

Funny you mention it, I do recall hearing that now. Guess I'd better call Icecap before choosing bulbs!

Wrassefan,

>I've seen the AB in reefnrolls tank run by IC ballast.<

I think Bec is running SE bulbs, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure about the AB's, but with many bulbs, the SE is very different from the DE.

Just David P.

>For what it's worth, I just switched out my XM's after just a couple months use on them. They were single ended 175's (10K) running on PFO ballast, <

I have a single 10 K 175 W XM SE bulb on some old magnetic ballast over a frag tank and in general am pretty happy with it. I also REALLY like the 10K XM SE 250W on my Icecap ballast, burns quite bluish.

JD46,

>I have been running Sun Aquatics 250W 10k's for the past 6 months.<

I haven't heard much about these. I do recally seeing them in the results as being good. Was this the bulb Joe V. (SOD) was running? I'll have to look again at the spectrum of this bulb. I'm also curious where you can get them. This WAS a DE bulb, right?

Greg Hiller said:
All comments appreciated.

I think Bec is running SE bulbs, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure about the AB's, but with many bulbs, the SE is very different from the DE.

you are correct. Sorry about adding any confusion.

question. Would I be able to get away with only using one MH bulb in my 20L if I went with the 14K color temp? or would I be better off going with the 10K and doing say 2x13w actinics with it (over a 20L)

edit:Sorry for hijacking thread.

Yup, you guys are right. I'm running AB single ended 250 10Ks and Ice Cap ballasts in my set-up. I mix with VHO actinics. I had planned on switching out to XM 250 10Ks, per the results of Greg and others... but if I can now find AB's for only a few bucks more, I'll stick with them. I've had great growth and color... consistently.

I guess one other consideration would be how long the XMs last (look good/keep your corals growing/etc). I'm finding that these single ended ABs probably need to go after about 9 months.

JD46 - More on where to get those $35 lamps please. I'd love to see how they look.

b

More on where to get those $35 lamps please. I'd love to see how they look

bec - you probably already have seen these lamps at Joe V's house. He just swapped out his 250 DE for 400 watt 10k bulbs. They give off a nice white light. The 250 watt DE he used were also Sun Aquatics.

They are sold by Sun Aquatics, a Canadian company that operates out of Canada. Joe sent me the link, but I opted to try the 400watt 10k XM bulbs this time around.

Search Ebay for Sun Aquatics.

Last edited:
Here is the link to Sanjay Joshi's Lighting analysis site.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

Yes, the bulbs I am running are 250W DE bulbs in Giesemann Nova II pendants. But, Sun Aquatics does sell mogul style bulbs as well. They sell through Ebay, but do not always have all of their bulbs available, so you have to watch out for them.

When I ordered them about a year ago, it cost me $89 for 2 bulbs including shipping.

Here is a link to their Ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Sun-Aquatics-and-Optronics_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

I'll try to take a few pictures of my tank tonight. I don't have anysince I changed the bulbs.

Well, I did some searching, and I have no idea how one would go about purchasing the double ended 10K 250 W Sun Aquatics bulbs. Does anyone have a direct email address for this guy that sells on Ebay?

On the auction for the SE bulbs, it says that theyre all available in DE HQI bulbs, and to contact them for prices. I asked the seller a question through Ebay's built in forms. I will post when I get an answer.

Rich

Back