moving sump to remote room...need pump

clamm

Nothing to nobody
Guys, what do you recommend for pump. I want and external, I also want it to power everything, flow bars and return. now the tank sump will only be 10ft away behind the wall really...so the distance isn't far. Issues of concern from most important to least important:

1) Energy used
2) Flow
3) Noise ( in remote room not a real big deal )

What do you suggest!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

CASEY

NATE! I am taking your advice and going to do the auto top-off...thanks for giving me hell! Actually in reality you gave me a reason to tell my wife that it would cut back on basement floods (in theory) since all but one was caused by me not turning off the water...when filled by water barrels w/rodi.

what do you think I need. I want to just plumb the return to my flowbars and have the drain go back to the sump...so whats the most I can get away with? What do you recommend...you have done this before...i think. I like the dolphin cause of the inline canister for carbon...what do they run...I think I want about 1K for flow at the powerbars...do you think thats enough? You understand what I want to do right? I will eventually encorporate an auto topoff with it.

I am considering a blue line 1100 (or some similar number of 1's and 0's) for my 90 gallon setup. I don't think you would get the 1kgph you want but it might fit your bill. I am mostly considering it becaeuse of low energy use and low initial cost(around 130 I think), I found it at www.championlighting.com.

Has anyone used this pump before, I'd like ot hear other peoples experiences.

Casey, Your pump size is going to be limited by the overflow capacity. Do you plan to use both bulkheads in your overflow for drains? or will there be one drain and one return?

Figure out how much your drains can handle safely, and then decide if that's enough flow.

Personally I'd go for 1500 gph in the tank. Might be hard to do that all with one pump though, because of overflow capacity.

Nate

nate one drain, one return, with return being plumbed to the flowbar...humm...

so from what I gather so far, I will need probably two pumps in order to avoid the problem of the flow being too high for the return. So I can manage two pumps...no I guess I want one internal and one external....both low energy. I would like about 800 for the return and 1200 for the flowbar...heat really isnt an issue....noise and effiencieny would be the 2 main issues.

So you'll do one pump on the return, and one pump on a closed loop? Is that what you're saying?

Is your tank drilled for a closed loop?

Aren't you doing a tunze group buy? Why not use that with the return and be done with it? (to be quite honest, if I were building a system now, I'd get rid of my closed loop and spend money on a Tunze instead.)

NateHanson said:
So you'll do one pump on the return, and one pump on a closed loop? Is that what you're saying?

Is your tank drilled for a closed loop?

Aren't you doing a tunze group buy? Why not use that with the return and be done with it? (to be quite honest, if I were building a system now, I'd get rid of my closed loop and spend money on a Tunze instead.)

good point, but I may installed all this before the group buy goes in, I would like to have it installed before I go on vacation.

But isn't Tunze, closed loop, and return a little overkill? Maybe when your Tunze comes in you can give me the closed loop pump. :D Think of how much I can save you on your electricity bill!

Last edited:
yea i know...thats one thing im thinking about, i want a high flow low energy pump...but everyone does i guess.

I know my current flow bar is a rio hyperflo and i things its rating is 800-900gph. I think the return is 600-750 and I dont know the brand. Im thinking take the 600-750 and making it my top off pump, taking the hyperflo and making it my return pump, then buying a closed loop pump for the flow bar...of about 1k-1.2k.

Anyone Have Opinions One The Rio Hyperflo? Is There A Pump Thats Lower Energy But Same Out Put Available?

try 160-180 ;) but mine was down a floor and on the other side of the house

Back