Moving sump to the basement..need help

SMS76

Non-member
I like to move my sump to the basement directly under where i have a tank to minimize long plumbing. My tank is next to wall (sheet rock) and i have a hardwood floor where tank is setup. I like to have my pipes go through sheet rock but my house is still kind of new and i am afraid to just rip the sheet rock. i am sure most of you have done similar so i am just looking for some suggetions on how can i do it without much damage. I am thinking about using 1.5" flex pipe (will this size be ok) to drain water in the sump and then pump it back. So i need atleast two 1.5" pipes and i guess two holes in the sheet rock. What should i use it to drill holes and how big do they have to be?
Any suggetions or ideas for this mini project? I am handy but still newbie with this stuff.
Thanks
Shoeib

Shoeib, have you thought about drilling through the floor as opposed to going into
the walls ?

It's hardwood floor so i am kind of hesitant. NOt sure how easy it will be to repair the holes in hardwood if i move the tank. I think repairing sheet rock is much easier, isn't it?

Yes, I'd guess repairing sheetrock would be easier than patching a hardwood floor.

I opted to go through the floor. I cut my holes at the edge of the room where I can easily patch in a few short pieces when I sell the house. I thought I used 2" spa flex but just double checked and ended up using 1.5". I'm able to get plenty of flow with this size pipe.

Attachments

• throughfloor.jpg
    throughfloor.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 246
Going through the sheetrock is easy, but then you need to drill through the plate at the base of the wall (1 or 2 studs). You won't be able to do that from upstairs unless you take out a foot or two of drywall. Make sure there's not a beam right below that wall in the basement. If it's load bearing there could be a beam in that location forcing you to go through the floor right next to the wall.

I think if you go through the wall you'll probably want to finish the holes around the hose somehow, because otherwise you'll have a raw drywall edge around the pipes and that will slowly crumble and make a mess. So you might make a small wood panel where the pipes go through. That way you can have wood surrounding the pipes, and it'll be more durable. Or maybe you could use some sort of big grommet to surround the pipe. Try someplace like staples. Maybe the grommets that go through desktops for computer cables are the right size. That'd be lucky.

I was told you can get round plugs for the holes in the hardwood floors

Shoeib do you want to go in on a roll of that flex PVC? I am going to be plumbing my sump downstairs in the next 2 weeks and will need some

If you do order it, pick up the cement as well. It stays a little softer than the regular PVC cement. I know the regular stuff will work but why not do it right for a few bucks. The cement for the flex takes a little longer to set up. If you have cemented PVC before, you will be suprised how this stuff will try to push appart the fittings for the first 15-20 seconds or so. I held my fittings together for about a minute to be sure it set right.

Thanks guys for replies. I am still not sure if i will do this or not. I checked my basement and as Nate mentioned if i go through sheetrock then i have to cut plates at the base of the wall and it won't be pretty. Another option is to go through the hardwood but i really don't want to mess it up right now. I think for now may be i will keep it the way it is and may be move/upgrade the tank to the basement when i finish it.

If I remember right your tank is on an outside wall.It is very very difficult to to get into the basement on an outside wall because that wall rest on the plate that rest on the foundation.I worked for the Telephone Co for many years.it was next to imposable to even fish a wire down an outside wall.By the way the corals are doing great.Skipp

haven't tried this myself, but I'd think you could put an open-backed electrical box into the hole, take a blank faceplate and drill holes in it the size of your tubing.

just a thought on "finishing" the hole

Ah I like that idea......but I have to do this with the tank in place already :(

I like the electrical box idea!

Anyways, sounds like it'll be hard if you're on an outside wall. Best bet would probably be to go through the hardwood floor. Wouldn't be hard to completely repair when you move out. Just damage as few boards as possible, then you just need to cut out the one or two damaged boards a foot or two from the wall, with a chisel, and put in new boards (the last one you put in must have the bottom half of the groove removed, so it can be slipped down over the tongue on the board next to it). Then just sand it down a bit and finish to match.

Nate

Anyways, sounds like it'll be hard if you're on an outside wall. Best bet would probably be to go through the hardwood floor. Wouldn't be hard to completely repair when you move out. Just damage as few boards as possible, then you just need to cut out the one or two damaged boards a foot or two from the wall, with a chisel, and put in new boards (the last one you put in must have the bottom half of the groove removed, so it can be slipped down over the tongue on the board next to it). Then just sand it down a bit and finish to match.

Nate, Good suggetion. Just have to convince wife. Also my basement is not finished so it does get cold around this time. Do you insulate your sump in the basement? WHat do you do so it doesn't get cold?

Back