Murphy lives

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
So, I put a BEAN drain in my tank, because it was supposed to be flood proof.

It isn't :(

After a power outage, after a restart, it surged and wouldn't balance. However, until this morning, it hadn't over-run the backup drain. I thought it would straighten itself out.

All that changed this morning. During the 15 gallon flood, Saltwater also splashed down the front of the stand and shorted out one of my MP40's. Flashes red now. won't run <sigh>

still vacuuming and drying, but 15 gallons of salt water can spoil your hardwood floors' day. Add in a splash of very pissed off wife :mad: and a 300+ dollar hit on the MP40, and I'm thinking hard about if this is really even worth it any more.

Bummer! Sorry to hear. It's never worth it. But that's the definition of addiction. Also in the definition is something you can't help but to do.

I'm using a Bean too, any idea what caused the initial backup/blockage? Snail or something? Any clues as to why the third drain didn't kick in?

Wow sorry to hear Jay! I have been running a bean for over a year with no problems. I even had my sea cucumber crawl into the main drain and the overflow worked great. I know it is discouraging but do you really want to quit after all that time and money spent on such a great looking tank. I wish I were closer I would come and help. Good luck with everything as specially with the wife I know what it's like when they are pissed at us.

Sorry to hear about this. If I had the mishaps you've had I'd have left the hobby a long time ago. I actually left my RODI filter on about 2-1/2 years ago dumped 15 gallons of water into my downstairs neighbors condo. The insurance paid for it but it caused $10k worth of damage to sheet rock, carpet and hardwood floors.

Wow sorry to hear Jay! I have been running a bean for over a year with no problems. I even had my sea cucumber crawl into the main drain and the overflow worked great. I know it is discouraging but do you really want to quit after all that time and money spent on such a great looking tank. I wish I were closer I would come and help. Good luck with everything as specially with the wife I know what it's like when they are pissed at us.

My wife is generally pretty understanding, but there are some things going on where this is probably 'that straw'. We'll see. An awful lot invested.

My wife is generally pretty understanding, but there are some things going on where this is probably 'that straw'. We'll see. An awful lot invested.

To say the least

Always had my reservation of siphon drains. Although it is odd as your flow rate should easily be handled by the drains if the siphon didn't work. Almost like you had a vapor lock in your lines. Were the lines submerged downstairs?

I'm pretty sure it's because of the angle of the spaflex runs. They make it very difficult for the air to purge out of the lines like they otherwise would do right away.

I suggested that we look into re-running the drain lines so they are straight vertical, and then into a horizontal. Also a high water shut off in the overflow box since this proves that bean isn't failsafe in this set up.

there is no movement behind the tank John "none". the drain lines are what they are but we made them as vertical as they could be. they were squeezed in with a shoe horn

Personally I would ditch the siphon system as the way his setup is the overflow box keep water too high on start up. The amount of empty space is relatively small and fills extremely fast. The start up was iffy more than it wasn't when I was there. He has to go with more in tank flow and less turn over and gravity drains. I would do a converted Durso so it breaths. If he runs a Tee in place of the elbows with a cap with a hole in the top it should work. Given all the drains will be working it should have no problem handling the flow. With that set up the water height could be maintained on half way point on the bulkhead. Keeping the water level lower than the over flow BOX which is not the case with the Bean drains.

But regardless of what he chooses to do Jay should have a safety return pump shut float switch, short money for what it does

Last edited:
I understand the space limitations, just trying to figure out the problem before abandoning the whole thing. Bean drains work great, but the shape of Jays house is making that difficult..

If i had to make a call I would say the bulkheads are too high.

yeah one line runs in the stud pocket of the wall on the other side. the whole tank is squeezed in there right down to the floor extension

I do not have high hopes for the bean if the tank makes it past the board of appeals meeting Jay will have to attend.

Last edited:
Man Jay, that is a total bummer. I knew something had to be up as no one has really mentioned "he who should be nameless" in quite some time.

Hopefully the floors will not warp and a coat of paint in the cellar will fix things up easily.

Hold your chin up and keep pushing forward.

The holes aren't the problem, it's the difficulty getting the air out of the drain. I agree, the way the tank is squeezed in and the location of the sump room present big barriers and may make it impossible to get reliable restarts - but I don't exactly give up on the idea that the bugs could be worked out.

Hang in there Jay, like you said you could just run 3 durosos like Greg suggests and things would be fine...

his safety drain is higher than the overflow So there may very well be not enough time to get the air out.

Not the last time I looked at it??

Yes, getting the air out is the problem though :)

certainly something can be worked out, with an added safety float switch. That is if the tank doesn't get the axe ::

Last edited:
24 bath towels, a burned out hair dryer, 4 rolls of paper towel, a fan and I think there's just some residual dampness under the stand shims.

it's off the chopping block for now.

2 drains running wide open. the other one still has the gate valve - no noise.

We'll see where we end up with the bean

24 bath towels, a burned out hair dryer, 4 rolls of paper towel, a fan and I think there's just some residual dampness under the stand shims.

it's off the chopping block for now.

2 drains running wide open. the other one still has the gate valve - no noise.

We'll see where we end up with the bean
Ugh. Sorry, man.

Jay I dont even know what to say. Like Bob said maybe another hobby. I have never heard or seen so much bad luck with a tank before. If your wife lets you in the house it will be a miracle, never mind keeping the tank running. I have had this tank up for just over a year with no issues. I only have one drain::, I know an accident waiting to happen, but I got it this way. I have a 1 1/2in drain, and 3/4in glass, so I dont have room for another drain, so I figured I would do the next best thing. I installed to very critical things to my tank. I have a float switch like Greg said in the overflow, and I have a second in the sump. I have a 55gal top off reservoir, so if I have an issue, it can get ugly. The only thing I wish I had is a conductivity probe in case some stays on and I get alot of top off, or my constant WC screws up. I know that with just this one drain I am going to have an issue, just a matter of when. Jay I wish you the best, and I know you will be in the hobby for the long haul, you are a glutton for punishment.

Good Luck Derek
4ugevuzy.jpg
u9upy5a2.jpg

Last edited:
Back