My 12G SPS Mr Aqua tank.....from Mixed Salts to PETCO Ocean Water

nemodan

Non-member
Hi All

In the PETCO Ocean Water thread in one post was mentioned that it would be nice to see the evolution of a tank that was in artificial mixed reef salt and now will be in PETCO Ocean water.

Well, let see what happens with my tank. I hope I will be able to post again during the followings months.

The tank is a full SPS with just only 3 very small zoanthid colonies in 3 small rocks.

Tank description:

- 12 G Mr Aqua rimless
- CPR refugium (medium size) (around 2-3G more of water) FULL of macroalgaes.
- 2 Ecoxotic Panorama Marine fixtures (with blues and white LEDs) and one Stunner strip with Magenta and Blue LEDs. Plus simple one touch LED controller
- MP10
- JBJ ATO......this ATO is FANTASTIC...the water level only fluctuate 1/8-1/4". I glued both sensor cases and set it up on function B. The RED glass container in the side has distilled water. I covered the sensors with plastic mosquito net because a snail went inside and almost make a disaster. Fortunately I was there.
- Skimmer added inside of the refugium.
- 2 RKL (one with one PC4 to control all the lights) (got it used cheap here). The other has 3 PC4 and SL1 module with pH probe (got this new)

The tank was filled with water on July 4 2013 (today has a little more than 2 months old).

Last weekend (Sept. 8) I replaced 5G of salt mixed salt with 5G of PETCO Ocean Water. This coming weekend I will replace another 5G and later I will start with my usual 2G of water change per week.

Let enjoy some pictures:

Last edited:
That's a disaster in the making with that electrical rats nest. Is that under the tank? At least mount your power strip up side down so there's less likely water can get in the socket if the tank overflow.

That's a disaster in the making with that electrical rats nest. Is that under the tank? At least mount your power strip up side down so there's less likely water can get in the socket if the tank overflow.

You are correct, it is a rat nest I was expecting some comments like this one, but I decided to post the picture any way. No need to hide anything

There is no risk of overflowing unless the tank or the refugium breaks. Good suggestions for the power strips. They are the PC4 of the RKL. If you pay attention to the picture you will see that they are more than 1" thick of fully enclosed plastic. The water will have to overflow that level. Before that occurs, the water will flow to the floor. All those PC4 are connected to the white power strip on the left. It is a good one with a circuit breaker. If that fails, then the house circuit breaker exist too.

The JBJ ATO come from factory with a set-up to avoid overflows. The pump can not work more than 3.45 minutes continues. You have to select the correct pump. I have a Tom aqualifter pump that pumps 3 1/2 G per hour (or per 60 minutes). this means that in 4 minutes it will pump in the tank 0.23 G . NOT enough to have an overflow. Moreover, the ATO water container can not contain more than 2 G of distilled water. I only have it filled with a gallon. That is OK for a week with actual temperatures. In July I was using 2 G/week , So I was filling it twice. No need to have it full. If that gallon is pumped inside the tank, the tank will not overflow neither.

If the tank or the refugium breaks, then the electricity will be cut instantly by the house circuit breaker. Moreover, the water will go to the floor before than inside the furniture. The furniture is fully closed.

Could be that water drips along the wires and go inside the electric contact of the PC4, then the circuit breakers will do their job.

Any idea of how I can place all those wires better ??? I will appreciate suggestions because I hate that "rat nest"... :)

Wires are all inside of the furniture

Last edited:
I love these tanks! You can mount your power strips and gadgets on the inside of the doors and upside down, underneath the tank. There's flexible electrical tubing you can snake the wires through to clean it all up.

I've flooded my room, bathroom, fish room, heck I even flooded the back seat of my car with ro. Water happens to fall, and if it lands on your expensive eqpt, it could be disastrous and extremely dangerous.

I love these tanks! You can mount your power strips and gadgets on the inside of the doors and upside down, underneath the tank. There's flexible electrical tubing you can snake the wires through to clean it all up.

I will try to place all in that way. Thank you !!!!

In regards to the water flipping the house breaker, this isn't always going to be the case. By the time the house breaker trips, your equipment is probably toast. As for a "nice powerstrip with a circuit breaker", LAWLZ. They all suck. Eventually they fail. The breaker stops functioning, the strip catches fire, etc. What happens when you get water to travel the wire and in to your electrical outlet while you are in the tank? At the very least, you are going to feel it. Not if, but when.

If you wanna play with the snake, you are going to get bit.

If you wanna make that a bit safer, tidy up your wiring, make sure the cords have drip loops, try your best to get rid of the power strips (I know, we all use them), and for god sake, get GFCI on that tank.

In regards to the water flipping the house breaker, this isn't always going to be the case. By the time the house breaker trips, your equipment is probably toast. As for a "nice powerstrip with a circuit breaker", LAWLZ. They all suck. Eventually they fail. The breaker stops functioning, the strip catches fire, etc. What happens when you get water to travel the wire and in to your electrical outlet while you are in the tank? At the very least, you are going to feel it. Not if, but when.

If you wanna play with the snake, you are going to get bit.

If you wanna make that a bit safer, tidy up your wiring, make sure the cords have drip loops, try your best to get rid of the power strips (I know, we all use them), and for god sake, get GFCI on that tank.

Thank you. Will do my best......will post a picture when I finish it.

What kind of macros do you have in your fuge?

Sorry, I do not have idea of the names, so I will post some pictures:

I have to take out Macros this weekend from the fuge, they grew a lot. If you or someone else wants some Macro, please let me know. I am in Westford, MA, nearby route 3

IN THE TANK

Great looking tank

Thank you Frank !!!!. A big part of those corals came from your tanks and so far they are doing great.

Also I have many new ones from DZ6T and some from Jay's Aquatic. They are also doing OK too.

Let see what happens with the PETCO Ocean water in the following weeks/months

Daniel

Thank you Frank !!!!. A big part of those corals came from your tanks and so far they are doing great.

Also I have many new ones from DZ6T and some from Jay's Aquatic. They are also doing OK too.

Let see what happens with the PETCO Ocean water in the following weeks/months

Daniel

And the Acans from Love the Reef

Daniel
I tried to edit my post but the system do not allow it after some time

Just 5 gall ohh now I can see why your coral no colorful ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379032733.655554.jpg5 gall for your tank is nothing

That was the first WC.... now I will continue doing it and I will see the evolution in the following months.

Concerning color you have different LEDs and that can make a difference.

Now I will post pictures in the following months

Daniel

Gorgeous looking tank...but...all that equipment (controllers etc) for a 12 gal tank? It is great looking!!!! Love the look.

Back