My 12G SPS Mr Aqua tank.....from Mixed Salts to PETCO Ocean Water

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379074070.732759.jpgmy 6 gall every two day one gall water change Petco water

Gorgeous looking tank...but...all that equipment (controllers etc) for a 12 gal tank? It is great looking!!!! Love the look.

Thanks for the comments.

In my setup, that probably it is too much and has room for improvements I have:

- for each Ecoxotic Marine fixtures 2 plugs (=4)
- refugium ligh
-stunner strip
- truelumen LED moonlight
-mp10
- 2 50W heaters
-refugium pump
-Skimmer
-small hang on filter
-JBj ATO

All that plugged to the RKL PC4 strips. Each PC4 Strip needs to be plug and the wires are thick like a finger. I do not need 2 RKL, But I got one for only $85 so I am using it with the lights. All the rest is controlled by the other RKL.

Now you have a better idea why there is a lot of wires.....the rat nest..... :)))

I will start to work this weekend in improving the wiring under the furniture.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Black sand is not bad for the tank. Why is it bad?
People say it contains iron, I put a magnet next to mine and not one grain of sand stuck to it. Where is the iron?

If you say something is bad, back it up with links please.

Black sand is not bad for the tank. Why is it bad?
People say it contains iron, I put a magnet next to mine and not one grain of sand stuck to it. Where is the iron?

If you say something is bad, back it up with links please.

I had black sand in my Biocube and it was magnetic. It would stick to my mag-float if I got to close to the sand. But, I never had any problems with it in my tank.

I had black sand in my Biocube and it was magnetic. It would stick to my mag-float if I got to close to the sand. But, I never had any problems with it in my tank.

I went and placed my magnetic glass cleaners in 10 dlferent sites against the sand and nothing happened .

Could be because it is black sand I got from PETCO ...... LOL

Maybe a different black sand from somewhere else. I have the dry black sand from petco. It is sugar size.

so its the Hawaiian black sand that is bad because it is made primarily of basalt and will eventually start to leach? but the dry artificially colored black sand is ok to use??

so its the Hawaiian black sand that is bad because it is made primarily of basalt and will eventually start to leach? but the dry artificially colored black sand is ok to use??

My sand is a little over 1 year old and looks the same as day one.

What will Hawaiian sand leach?

Does anyone have any links that talk about what sand is good and bad (some sort of study with facts) or is everyone just going to keep repeating things they read in other forums or hear?

Last edited:
My sand is a little over 1 year old and looks the same as day one.

What will Hawaiian sand leach?

Does anyone have any links that talk about what sand is good and bad (some sort of study with facts) or is everyone just going to keep repeating things they read in other forums or hear?

I'm interested in any articles about this as well. I believe I used Oceans Direct black sand in my DT. It's not magnetic at all.

after reading a few threads I decided to give this stuff a try and did a 15g water change in my 72bow with 10g petco ocean water and 5g of my regular mix and a few days later everything seems to be perking up a little, my softies are a little brighter and my sps wich have been lacking lately are showing better polyp extention. i'm liking the results so far so next time i'm going to do a 20g change with just the petco water.

No studies on black sand?
No articles talking about "fake" black sand bleaching or magnetic sand destroying life in an aquarium?

I guess not we should probably start a new thread just for this because I still don't know lol.

Back