My 3 major aquarium "improvements" of 2014

cilyjr

Chris
My aquarium has never been better. I did 3 significant "improvements" this year and as the year is winding to a close I figured it would be fun to share. I cannot say for certain if any or all are actually contributing to overall health but I've been very happy of late.

1. Significant flow addition and standing wave.
I had been running about 8600gph through my tank since set up and it was fine but sps like a lot of flow so I added 2 pulsing pumps with a standing wave feature and a new return pump. This brought total gph to about 16000. All pumps are varying with 2 pulsing to create a standing wave so actual gph at any given time would could be quite different. The biggest part of this I feel is the standing wave.

2 adding 2 4 foot t-5 vho lamps to my ai sol blues.
The leds had been growing coral but some things didn't look as good as I felt they should. I always ran vho fluorescent with my Mh so I don't know why I dropped them from the equation when I bought the LED. I won't get into why I think they help here but I feel very satisfied with the combination.

3 constant small hourly water changes.
I built a system that slowly replaces 2 gallons daily from my system in small batches every few minutes. Partially for nutrient export but also to replenish any of the trace elements that I never bother to test for.

Well that's what I did this year. Post any questions or comments or talk about what you did to your aquarium this year!
Thanks for looking

Back