My 58 is completely up and running!

FinsUp!

Non-member
Just finished my sump design/build this past weekend, so I thought I'd share a pic (even though it's a crappy phone pic) of my completely running 58 gallon tank. It had been running sumpless up until now, so it's nice to finally have everything stashed away out of sight in the stand. It's been a LONG process, but it's finally done! Now, I just need more fish and corals.

attachment.php

The water is a bit cloudy from doing some rearranging. Eventually, I'll replace the orange locline nozzles with black ones, but I picked all of that stuff up for free at work, so I can't complain! I think I see a spot for one more piece of rock, too :D

Also, you'll notice Tina chilling at the top of the tank hoping she'll get some food. Pedro is hiding somewhere, as usual. They'll have a potential host this weekend.

I'll try to get a few more pictures with a real camera at some point.

Haha, I spent so much time working on those rocks to create all those caves and crevices! I took about 2 months collecting the rock piece by piece, picturing how they'd fit in with what I already had. I'm really happy with the outcome though. Now if only I had some cool cave-dwelling critters to photograph in those caves :D I may have to pick me up a new fish soon.

A few new pics, still phone pics though... Less cloudy now:
uploadfromtaptalk1329259583797.jpg

The new guy getting used to the water:
uploadfromtaptalk1329259636669.jpg

Hungry candy cane:
uploadfromtaptalk1329259818977.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

That's tina again. Shes always at the top of the tank looking for food. I named her after the llama in napoleon dynamite haha :D

That's tina again. Shes always at the top of the tank looking for food. I named her after the llama in napoleon dynamite haha :D

lmafooo........................thats unique i guess......makes sense why the other one is named pedro...............

New photos:

uploadfromtaptalk1330101321969.jpg
Tree

uploadfromtaptalk1330101411522.jpg
He loves being hand fed. Every time my hand is in the tank he crawls all over me looking for food.

uploadfromtaptalk1330101727026.jpg
Frogspawn

uploadfromtaptalk1330102127367.jpg
Trying my hand at SPS... Purple monti I believe?

uploadfromtaptalk1330101820220.jpg
Hard to see, but here's one of the new guys... Blenny Chesney! There are 2 more. Definitely my new favorite fish in the tank.

Last edited:
haha, I highly recommend the Barnacle Blennies to anyone that doesn't have something that will eat a 1"-1.5" fish. They add next to no bioload (the cleaner shrimp is twice their size) so you can add a group of them without much issue and you should see them at feeding time. They shoot out of the rocks so fast and grab food so fast you barely even see them do it. Plus, they're just ridiculously cute :D I'd like to get 3 more eventually.

Thanks. I'm thrilled to see the corals doing so well. I have a shipment of about 12 frags coming tomorrow (lots of palys and some ultra rainbow acans) so I can't wait to get those in there.

Added some more coral on Saturday. The only problem I've had is with some of the palys I got. The pink zippers and milky ways opened up for a while on Saturday, but closed Sat. night and haven't opened since? Are they just stressed from being shipped and adjusting to the tank or could something be wrong?

Parameters the night that I added them:
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 82
pH: 8.4
Phosphates: 0
Nitrates: Barely detectable
Ammonia: about .25ppm (I think this is because I accidentally overfed a few times and the shrimp has been stashing his leftovers in holes in the rock... This is the first time they've gone above 0 since my cycle ended)
Calcium: 500
Alk: 9

What do you think? I did a 10g water change last night, so I have to retest ammonia when I get home to see if that helped any. Everything else in the tank (including all the other corals I bought) looks fantastic and is nice and puffy. It's just those 2 polyps. They've been shut tight since they opened and closed on Saturday.

My lighting is a 4 bulb t5 with ATI bulbs if that helps. All the palys/zoas are in the bottom half of the tank.

Last edited:
your temp is slightly high...not terribly high but i would lower it to around 76-78 as a norm instead of 82. That could have something to do with it.

Yeah, it's normally around 79-80, which is what our last reef was kept at and everything did well. I'm hoping to get a better heater soon. The one I have now doesn't seem to maintain a constant/accurate temperature. I'm just trying to figure out why everything else is doing so well but those 2 types are closed up. Are different types of palys sensitive to different water conditions?

Back