powder blue tang completely disappeared!

THE WOOKIE

Just Keep Swimming
he is 100% gone.... tore my rock apart, checked overflow, floor around tank (even tho i have a lid) a 3-4" tang just doesn't just pull a Houdini and disappear like that. i have no holes in my rock big enough for him to fit into. possible mantis? i am very familiar with the sounds they make and how to spot there burrows but im not ruling that possibility out just yet. i have a long ten anemone but it is not full and plump like it just ate something large. someone mentioned to me that they had a tang MIA after adding powerheads to the tank. ( i just added two koralia 1400s and a skimmer the other day) if you have any suggestions on what you think might have happened it would be greatly appreciated.

i went to school at 6:30am yesterday and he was out and about, eating and looked generally healthy. my dad saw him at 3:30 in the afternoon and he was still fine.(so was the hippo tang) then when i got home from drivers ed at 6 he was nowhere to be found and my hippo tang was dead laying right next to where he usually hides at night. he still had all his color when i found him so he must have died like 20-30 mins before i got home. basically tore the tank apart looking for the powder blue but could not find him. i only have 25 hermits i dont think they could mow down a tang that size in a few hrs.

There is NO way that a power head had anything to do with this.
Is there any way you lost power and thus no aeration?
The large fish are the first to go when this happens.My other guess would be a parasite.

just asked her if she was positive it was only 30-60 mins and she said it was almost 2hrs........ guess its time to invest in a battery backup system

Dead or alive, I'm guessing that it's wedged in an impossibly small crevice in the rock somewhere. Tangs do that sometimes...

he is 100% gone.... tore my rock apart, checked overflow, floor around tank (even tho i have a lid) a 3-4" tang just doesn't just pull a Houdini and disappear like that. i have no holes in my rock big enough for him to fit into. possible mantis? i am very familiar with the sounds they make and how to spot there burrows but im not ruling that possibility out just yet. i have a long ten anemone but it is not full and plump like it just ate something large. someone mentioned to me that they had a tang MIA after adding powerheads to the tank. ( i just added two koralia 1400s and a skimmer the other day) if you have any suggestions on what you think might have happened it would be greatly appreciated.
Why did you type: possible mantis? ---do you have a mantis shrimp?

How big is your tank? A 2-hr. power outage isn't long enough to kill a fish. Powder blue tangs are very difficult to keep even under the best of conditions. Sometimes there just aren't obvious reasons. I know you looked everywhere, but I'm guessing it's dead, and you will probably experience a spike in your ammonia since you can't find the body. Watch your parameters for the next few days.

was so tempted to buy a purple tang i saw at a lfs today but luckily i was able to walk away. lol tang police would be busting my door in minutes after aclimation

The biggest issue with losing power is a lack of aeration. If the tank had slightly lower oxygen levels than say another's tank it would be very possible for the fish to die in the 2 hour period in 1 tank without battery powered aeration vs another tank that had higher levels to start with

Hey i have a blue hippo in a 56 gal tank that i setup about 4-5months ago and about a month after i got the fish i couldnt find it in my tank twice. first time, the lights come on and i didnt see it, then i put some brine shrimp in the tank, usually the hippo comes right out its cave and is the 1st on to the food, it turned out it had got stuck under a huge rock where my pistol shrimp and goby have a 3 door cave system.

2nd time i put a new 25lb piece of live-rock in a few weeks ago and it has about 10 caves from all sides and it got stuck in there. I tried giving it time to get out on its own but after almost 6 hours it still hadn't and i could see it struggling and shaking like crazy trying to swim, i had to pick the rock up and push it out with a long thin stick with a piece of sponge to pad the end. it wasnt fun.

it about 5 inches now and love to sleep in small tight spaces, good luck hope you find it

Back