Completely Automated Fish Feed

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
Has anyone successfully ran a tank with only automated feeder? If so, what type of fish. My Lyretail Anthias are the only fish that won't accept pellets even if I starve them for 3 days. If I can get the fish to go pellets, then my automation would be complete.

I had Anthias (bi color), clownfish, watchman gobbie, yellow tang, 4 chromies and 2 cleaner shrimp survive on an automated feeder for 3 weeks when I went to Spain.

All my fish would eat dry food.

Not all my fish eat pellets. So I tried flakes and they all ate it, so that's what I fill the auto feeder with when I go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have apex afs with spectrum pellets and refrigerated dosing pumps for oyster feast, roti feast and mysis feast. Uses Venturi system and split off of return pump to deliver food from refrigerator directly to tank. Fish and corals seem to be happy. It is early days but my square anthias seem to be happy. I also use dosing pumps for kz Pohl extra, amino acids, and vodka.

Last edited:
Maybe something like this can help? This is what I was thinking for our tank:

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/93795-attraction-darkside-reefkeeping.html

Not too hard to do. Key is that the dosing pump needs to be in the fridge itself so the food doesn't go bad while stuck in the pipe.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I read an article of a guy that used a wine chiller and a dosing pump.
The fridge also works, you just need to get something that will shake the food once in a while.

I read an article of a guy that used a wine chiller and a dosing pump.
The fridge also works, you just need to get something that will shake the food once in a while.

Hm ... very good point on shaking the food. A few companies have / are building magnetic stirrers for their dosing pumps... something like that would be PERFECT!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yup. Set it to turn on 2-3 min before feeding and then during the feeding. Then turn it off.

I have been thinking about this for a while now because my wife wants seahorses, and I will not buy seahorses unless I can build a reliable way to feed them (sometimes I have to travel for a week or two at a time).

Alright, the two Lyretail accepting flake. I only have Omega one color enhancing food which I feed the fish in my planted tank.
The anthias doesn't seem to attack the food when they're floating on top of the water. But when I dip my finger with the food in the water and release the food, they attack and feed on it pretty aggressively. Still won't accept NLS pellets like the rest of the fish in the tank. I'll be away for two weeks and there won't be no one attending to the tank. At least now, I can mix the pellets and flake in the autofeeder.

Try the marin sera small pellitized food. I had a couple fish that would not touch other stuff that took to it almost right away.

If you want some different pellet food to try, I have 5-6 different types i don't use. I got them from a friend and they are just sitting. I give them to my fish once in awhile. PM me if interested. I am in Malden

Derek

Back