My clam got mad a lost its foot! HELP!

Qwank

Non-member
a few weeks ago, i moved my clam from my 12g tank to my 24g tank. it was in the 12g for about 2 years prior to this and stuck to a 4 pound peice of live rock, which also went in the new tank, since i could not remove the clam. and i did not try to remove it either. the place i put the clam was towards the left side of the tank, about 12" from the 70w MH bulb, but not directly under it

anyways, about a week later i noticed the clam was leaning towards the light, and i looked and saw that it separated from its foot! i moved the clam to the highest part of the rock right under the bulb, its about 8" from it now. but he has not reattached to the rock.

its been like this over a week now. is the clam going to be ok, i heard they die with out their feet. but it did this on its own, i never tried removing the clam from the rock.

What kind of clam is it?

It sounds like it dropped it's byssal threads, and is probably looking for more light, or a change in flow. You're right, it is not happy about it's new home.

It may develop new byssal threads once it finds a new home.....

Maybe a 70MH in a 12 provided it with more light than a 70MH in a 24.

What kind of clam is it?

It sounds like it dropped it's byssal threads, and is probably looking for more light, or a change in flow. You're right, it is not happy about it's new home.

It may develop new byssal threads once it finds a new home.....

Maybe a 70MH in a 12 provided it with more light than a 70MH in a 24.

its a crocea

Byssal Threads. thanks i didnt know what they were called. yeah I moved him up the rock, about as far away as he was in the 12g. i think i might yank the 70w out and go 150w so i can keep the clam in the sand. the tank runs at a steady 78 degrees right now, i should be able to find a way to keep the 150w cool also.

Back