my diy screen cover for my tank is blocking to much light? pic included

jenreef

Non-member
so today we noticed that our clam has it's mantle extended. like if there is not enough light in the tank. so my bf took out the screen cover to the tank just to see how much light is it blocking. and low and behold the tank got much brighter when we took out the screen cover. so now my bf wants to take the screen cover off the tank for good. i told him we can't take it out because we have a jawfish and a goby. and i know they are jumpers. i told him we have to expect for it to block some light. but he says it is blocking not some but a alot of light. so now the question is what should we do? as soon as i took out the screen cover the clams mantle went back down. below is a picture of my tank. the left side of the tank has the screen cover on it. and the right side doesn't have the screen cover

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 263
I used to have a glass top on my left side and eggcrate on the right. The glass always let more light through. I have black eggcrate on both sides now and it definately cuts down on light.
What do you have for tops?

I used to have a glass top on my left side and eggcrate on the right. The glass always let more light through. I have black eggcrate on both sides now and it definately cuts down on light.
What do you have for tops?

i bought window screen kit. i heard glass and eggcrate cuts down a lot of light. i heard using the window screen kit is the best option to use to cover the top of your tank. but it seems like that also blocks a lot of light

+1 CRA has clear screen regular house screen is grey and the holes are to small thats why you are loosing so much light.

to bad i do not have a car to go to cra. if anybody in worcester has some clear screen that they can sell to me. i will greatly appreciate it

I believe Bulk Reef Supply sells it as well.

thank you so much. looked at bulk reef supply and yes they do sell it. but they only have the 1/2" hole one in stock. the 1/4" hole one is out of stock. i think my yasha goby can get through a 1/2" hole

Hey, that reminds me, I got some of that clear screen from jeremy for your tank when it was still my tank. I never got around to making the cover, but I must still have the screen somewhere. I'll let you know if I find it.

Hey, that reminds me, I got some of that clear screen from jeremy for your tank when it was still my tank. I never got around to making the cover, but I must still have the screen somewhere. I'll let you know if I find it.

ok, just let me know if anything. thanks

Back