My Kent Carbon experience... (not too bad)

Docstach

Non-member
Well lucky me, I used 2/3 of a container of the recalled kent carbon before the recall came out. I thought it was funny things never looked good after I changed carbon, but couldn't really figure out why until I saw the recall. Anyway, after running new carbon, cuprisorb, and lots of water changes I think everything is getting back on track. Overall I got off pretty well. I only lost one small frogspawn and a handful of snails. I thought my tuxedo urchin was a goner as he lost a lot of spines, but he seems to have turned the corner and is recovering. I purchased the carbon from marine depot and they handled the recall very well I think. They immediately refunded my money and gave me free shipping on my next order so I could get some new carbon if I wanted. I thought that was fair. I just feel sorry for some of the people who lost WAY WAY more than me.

Kind of a strange thing that has happened (could be a coincidence) is that I got a significant hair algae outbreak concurrent with the use of the recalled carbon. I had a little in the tank I was battling before the carbon, but once I started using the new carbon the HA seemed to get way worse. From looking on a couple of other sites, it seems others had this problem too, but not really sure what could have been in there that caused the outbreak?? Regardless I am starting to get it under control, and hopefully can start adding some new coral soon.

Back