my new blue spotted jaw fish

coralcor

Non-member
well i was at tropic isle today.... and they had these on sale... great price. i couldnt pass it up. (they have one more)

but just one of the pics ill be posting tonight.... im going to need to dig up those corals..... lol
DSC_0535.jpg

Thais is an amazing fish, and an amazing pic. I almost bought one, but i went with the yellow headed, they are fun to watch.

yea he has been in the tank for an hour and hes great. i tryed to make him a house.... so he wouldnt dig as much .... but oh well.... this is much cooler

I was at one time going to buy one. The price and the fact that I had a Diamond goby already stopped me. But my Goby took a nose dive the other day. So there is still hope.

Yeah, he is pretty funny too, any time any fish gets to close to his hole he gets mad. My yellow tang swam into the cave where his hole is and he tried to go after him. LOL my tang didn't even move.

Oh and mine still digs and i think he has been in the tank 8 months.

great fish!!! I bought one from them also but mine jumped after 2 weeks.... I plan to get another one some day!! Maybe when I set up the new tank..

People always say they are jumper, mine never goes more then 6" from its hole and never more then 3 or 4" off the sand bed. I have my tank covered mostly for him now, but i find it awesome how each fish is so different.

Very cool fish.

Mine stays in his burrow all day, but he's a big night time jumper. I've fished him out of the overflow many times. I suspect the only reason I still have him is that I have a fish deflector/canopy around the tank so he can't get out.

Oh, and BTW, it will dig a LOT.

Very cool fish.

Mine stays in his burrow all day, but he's a big night time jumper. I've fished him out of the overflow many times. I suspect the only reason I still have him is that I have a fish deflector/canopy around the tank so he can't get out.

Oh, and BTW, it will dig a LOT.

ill have to check my overflow.... its rely the only place he can get in.... but if he dose get behind my overflow there are rear chambers that ill be stuck fishign him out of

pics to show what i mean
about 1/4" gap in the back...
DSC_0540.jpg

this pic you can see the overflow skimmer filter floss etc
DSC_0398.jpg

what happened? did it jump?

i have a lid on my tank (red sea max ) so i hope he doesn't jump.... i bet he hits his head..... lol

Heh.

Mine wasn't a jumper. He stayed put down at the bottom. He caught a strange, splotchy skin infection of some sort after a month or two - like patches of his coloration were disappearing and leaving grayish white behind. He ate like a pig throughout the entire ordeal, and none of my other fish had any issue. Then one day, he just disappeared.

These fish don't have the best record in the hobby.

Heh.

Mine wasn't a jumper. He stayed put down at the bottom. He caught a strange, splotchy skin infection of some sort after a month or two - like patches of his coloration were disappearing and leaving grayish white behind. He ate like a pig throughout the entire ordeal, and none of my other fish had any issue. Then one day, he just disappeared.

Agreed. Exactly the same experience with ours. :(

Heh.

Agreed. Exactly the same experience with ours. :(

hmm.... wonder what it was.... hope mine doesn't get it.

lmao i just leaned to close to the tank and he go mad at me lol

Hope yours does well Corey, not all of them get this disease but many of them do.

If you do a search here in RT about these guys, you should find some more info on this. Keeping my fingers crossed for you though. ;):) The Pearly Jawfish has a much better track record in our systems.

BTW, IIRC, it is something along the lines of "white spot disease", and I believe only the Blue spotted Jawfish get this.

Last edited:
Somewhere along the line I read that BSJF are naturally accustomed to water temperatures from 65-80 degrees - but rarely higher. If possible you may want to try running your tank a little cooler than usual.

Hope yours does well Cory, not all of them get this disease but many of them do.

If you do a search here in RT about these guys, you should find some more info on this. Keeping my fingers crossed for you though. ;):) The Pearly Jawfish has a much better track record in our systems.

thanks. ill do some searching

Somewhere along the line I read that BSJF are naturally accustomed to water temperatures from 65-80 degrees - but rarely higher. If possible you may want to try running your tank a little cooler than usual.

my tank is never above 80... i think 80 is my max

Back