My Salt Water Addiction - Intervention Needed!

Coming here for help with aquaholicism is like is like an alcoholic going to a liquor store for directions to the AA meeting.

....Oh with a window unit in the same room you'll be fine esp. with the LED's......without the chiller and the LED's you could run this tank pretty "green" if you keep an eye on pumps and power heads and chose wisely you could run the tank for about $20 per month.....I run my 37 for about $20-$25 per month according to the reef central calculator...

...Sweet more and more nano or nano-ish tanks are popping up all over here :)....looking good nobody is ever happy with their rocks.....and are you really keeping that much sand? I honestly dont think you'll lose much as far as de-nitrification goes going from a 6" sand bed to 3", so i wouldnt keep it that high for that reason, and a good 3" bed will be fine for a goby or a wrasse that burrows at night.....

Last edited:
So..... my tank has been set up since December and I left it with just sand, rocks, water, skimmer, heater and ph until last month's auction when I brought some shrooms home. I didn't have lights on the tank, just the normal strip light and the shrooms lived, so today I added two tank raised baby Ocellaris Clowns and a few cerith and nassarius snails, but NO crabs!

I got a 18" Marineland LED fixture today, it's 21w, with 18 white and 3 blue. Jay had one set up on a cube and it's clean, compact and wasn't burning hot. It's a little bit warm on the top, but not very much heat on the bottom at all. Was a decent price too. I was expecting to have to pay more then that, so that was nice. I still have the 30w DIY LED's that came with my tank and I just haven't had the time to build a canopy yet so I haven't used them. I might wait for a bit and see if I end up using them or just sell them. Not sure yet.

I was looking real close at the sand bed today and saw some pods, so that made me happy and I have the tiny white snails on the glass too. It's nice to have fishies in my tank again! They are so happy and wiggly! I think my next addtion is going to be a Midas Blenny. I wanted one in my first reef but the stores around me could never seem to get on in or order one for me so I had a bi-color blenny instead. I saw a Midas Blenny today and wanted to bring it home, but I know better then to add too much at once. So I'll go back for it later. The fishies are acclimated and swimming around, they ate well and are very active. :)

I'm not familiar with the LED lights yet, I had all 250w MH's on my old tanks and then PC's before that and this is also my first cube. It's 20" wide and 18" front to back. It's 18" from the bottom of the lights to the top of the sand bed. Do you guys think that the 21w LED's would be enough to keep a BTA or a Clam (not adding one anytime soon, just asking), or would I need to add a second 21w fixture?

Last edited:
The marine land led lights use 1 watt led's and have little penetration. They are good for shrooms and xenia but not really much eles. The bubble tip and clams will need the much larger led system with the 3 watt LEDs or metal halides. The marine land fixtures have a nice look, but little power.

I know it isn't real powerful, that's why I asked if I would need two of them.

two of them would be still not very good IMO. Metal halide or cree3 watt LEDs would be the better option In my eyes.

My fishies like to eat!!! They are so cute :) I forgot how they hardly ever stop to sleep. I kept waking up and peeking at them over night since the tank is right next to my bed. They were snuggling up next to the heater's sensor for a few hours. They need something to play in, maybe some GSP's. I like leathers a lot and zoos, don't think I'm going to want too many sps, did that before and I like more of the motion. But I do want a BTA and maybe a clam later.

My tank last weekend (it has a few new additions this weekend so it already changed LOL)
227013_1695285266086_1356457256_31400649_6616419_n.jpg

My LED lights
247018_1695286586119_1356457256_31400652_3130783_n.jpg

Fry and Leela, My baby clowns when they were acclimating on April 9th.
218072_1624678300956_1356457256_31307266_812859_n.jpg

Meet Bender:
249983_1695286386114_1356457256_31400650_7874894_n.jpg

He likes the cord to the thermometer and the heater's sensor:
229318_1695286506117_1356457256_31400651_2200877_n.jpg

I was bored while acclimating frags and took a picture of my water tests.... LOL
This was before my water change, Ammonia < 0.01, PH 8.3, Nitrite half way between .00 and .02, Nitrate <1 and Alk 6. I should probably get some 2 part since I'm getting more frags. I haven't been dosing anything at all yet.
247148_1694723132033_1356457256_31399875_5054358_n.jpg

These are some shrooms I got at the auction. They are on a plastic clip if anyone recognizes them. I'm not sure who they came from, but I like them.
227428_1695286706122_1356457256_31400653_5386617_n.jpg

I posted this before, but I'm gonna post it again. I was soooo happy to get a tank again! Look at that big cheesy smile while hugging my "new to me" tank!
63625_1468049265328_1356457256_31040096_7447111_n.jpg

Everything in my tank is happy except the zoos, they will open one day and then not the next.

My baby Clowns (Fry and Leela) are trying to host in my GSPs and my Midas Blenny (Bender) has taken a liking to my mag-float. LOL
I can't get a pic with my good camera cause when I walk up to the tank they think I'm gonna feed them.....
So I was hiding behind my laptop with my ASUS Eee Pad Transformer and got this pic of them.

252609_1710224999570_1356457256_31423050_6750507_n.jpg

Last edited:
looks good.....that is a very nice tank......Don't listen to anthony!!!:) J/K adog!!!;)

The pic with the test kits is cute!!!

BTW.....have u tested ur mag? zoos could also be closed cause something decided they are tastey!! or maybe a crab or snail is moving about in their new home & possibly cruising over the zoos..

Thanks, I haven't tested magnesium. I don't see anything on the zoos, but the orange ones wouldn't open when I first got them and I did a hydrogen peroxide/rodi dip for 30 seconds, then rinsed in salt water a couple of times before putting them back in my tank and that seemed to help. But they are not opening all the time. The snails do get on them a lot so that might be it. I could have them too high up as well, the orange ones seemed happier after I moved them down. I did see either a small ghost shrimp or a very large pod once but have not seen it since.

Also I can't listen to Anthony unless I ditched my bed for a fish tank cause I'm out of floor space in my room and well.... I'm not gonna sleep on the floor or in a tank..... LOL
I don't hang out in the living room so it would be a waste to put a tank out there. I'm happy with my cube, I just have to remember that it fills up faster and just get things that I really like. :)

Thanks, I haven't tested magnesium. I don't see anything on the zoos, but the orange ones wouldn't open when I first got them and I did a hydrogen peroxide/rodi dip for 30 seconds, then rinsed in salt water a couple of times before putting them back in my tank and that seemed to help. But they are not opening all the time. The snails do get on them a lot so that might be it. I could have them too high up as well, the orange ones seemed happier after I moved them down. I did see either a small ghost shrimp or a very large pod once but have not seen it since.

Also I can't listen to Anthony unless I ditched my bed for a fish tank cause I'm out of floor space in my room and well.... I'm not gonna sleep on the floor or in a tank..... LOL
I don't hang out in the living room so it would be a waste to put a tank out there. I'm happy with my cube, I just have to remember that it fills up faster and just get things that I really like. :)

thats the key...choose wisely!!!

There are always twin beds. ;)

The tank is looking nice BTW.

Back