My Simple DIY Frag Rack

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
So I realized I had some extra supplies laying around the house and decided to put them to good use.

I had some extra egg crate, reef putty, and a broken koralia that I could use the magnet off.

With all these things I made a small 8"x4"x3.5" frag rack so that I could start fragging off some of my corals and have a place to put them to heal up other than the sand bed.

Sheet of egg crate taped off for the bottom of the frag rack:
SDC10582.jpg

Bottom piece all cut:
SDC10583.jpg

Top and bottom pieces all set to go:
SDC10584.jpg

Pieces of egg crate attached using the reef putty:
SDC10585.jpg

Koralia magnet attached to back using some reef glue
SDC10586.jpg

Side View:
SDC10587.jpg

A few pics hanging on my craftsman tool chest:
SDC10590.jpg

SDC10589.jpg

SDC10588.jpg

I still need to clean off some of the remaining painter's tape. After I do my water change this weekend and get my tank all cleaned up I will post a few pics of it actually sitting in my tank.

I was just using it it as a guide for my cuts instead of using a marker or some sorts to mark off where I needed to cut I just ran a strip of tape.

The painters tape will also keep the plastic from splintering and chipping when you cut it if you use a saw.

I have good luck just picking the row I want marking that row then I just smash though the piece with a pair of pliers or screw driver, hell you could use a butter knife.

yah, I usually use a diagonal wire cutter, never was precise enough to mark it with tape an all, that's why I was wondering what the tape was for.

I guess it pays to take your time, it came out very nice looking!

I actually just used a dremel to cut mine. I have used pliers in the past and always seemed to have the egg crate snap and break on me where I didn't want it to.

for my rack.. i just attacked it to a magfloat with super glue and zit ties.

Cool, I actually have seen that done a few times from members on here. I figured while I had some extra parts laying around that I would try and make one out of those things.

I actually need to buy a bigger mag float, and I do have some more egg crate left over, I will most likely make a smaller rack using the mag float idea.

To get rid of the rough edges... try using a zippo lighter for candels... hold it away from egg crate as you get closer it melts the fray... nice and smooth - too close and you will melt it.. so do a test run first.

To get rid of the rough edges... try using a zippo lighter for candels... hold it away from egg crate as you get closer it melts the fray... nice and smooth - too close and you will melt it.. so do a test run first.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to try it out on a test piece.

i think im going to have to make one of these so i can keep my acros up higher eventually somthing will cover it up and it wont look like egg crate any more.

Back