My Wet Neck Mod V1.0

This is an interesting thread. I don't know that I would want tubing connected to/through the collection cup lid, as I take that off at least daily, for cleanings.

that is why i am hoping someone who has done this can relate their experience.....
i figure that the wet neck will help me not have to clean the collection cup as often. if i add a waste collector tube from the cup to a soda bottle then i would not have to break down the skimmer weekly to clean. more run time.

im hoping with these two mods my skimmer maintence will be reduced to every month or two. disassemble skimmer to clean cup and soak pump in vinniger.

Marc said:
This is an interesting thread. I don't know that I would want tubing connected to/through the collection cup lid, as I take that off at least daily, for cleanings.

Hey Marc, nice to see you around again.

The point of the wetneck is to eliminate the need to clean the skimmer neck so often.

So i have been doing alot of thinking about this idea and im wondering if a roof would benefit this???...keep bubbles out of the well ensuring cleaner water ran down the tube. i think i might have something to do this with.

I was also wondering if you made any progress with this. I am trying to construct a wet neck setup for my skimmer (an 5 year old ETSS downdraft). I used an acrylic tube with an o-ring seal to the outside of the skimmer neck (in the collection cup) and a roof that has a hole in the inside that is the same diameter as the inside of the neck. It isn't working too well. It doesn't make a nice sheet of water. I'm bleeding the water for it off of the feed for the skimmer and I'm only using one 1/4" line so it might not be enough flow. I think I'm going to see about increasing the flow a little. Does anyone have any other ideas about how to induce a nice laminar flow?
Now that I think about the volume of water involved to cover the whole inside of the tube, it seems like it would take more than you could fit in a 1/4 tube at a reasonable pressure...

I've attached some pictures of my setup...

Attachments

• DSC_9922.jpg
    DSC_9922.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC_9923.jpg
    DSC_9923.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_9924.jpg
    DSC_9924.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC_9926.jpg
    DSC_9926.jpg