Natural Saltwater

Jbotelho85

Non-member
so I took the plunge this morning and gathered some seawater from Southshore Beach in Little Compton, on a high tide of course. I only did around 3.5 gallons, heated it and put it in my tank for the plankton, hopefully all goes well, I will post on here next waterchange next week to see if anything has changed or happened.

When I used nsw I would strain it also
I stopped using it because of the pain it was to get in winter
Other than that great stuff[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So an update on the NSW, did second water change, full 10 gallons this time, the gorgonians loved it, they seem to have full polyp extension, haven’t noticed any difference with other corals. Fish don’t mind, and I seem to be getting tons of pods growing now. All I do is collect, filter through a nylon pantyhose, and beat.

You beat it? Was it naughty? Or like scrambled eggs? Or Michael Jackson? Or wait... heat! Gotcha [emoji6][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, definitely heat! Tank is looking better than ever, less champ, polyps on Gorgonias are out more often!

When collecting seawater are there any steps that need to be done before putting in your tank other than heating? Why is High tide the best time to collect? Can you collect from the beach or do you need travel out further by boat?

I can only speak for myself, but I only heat it after straining sand. High tide is best because it’s new water coming in, instead of old water and all the runoff leaving with the outgoing tide. I mean I think a boat would be best offshore, but it’s winter and my boat is in storage.

In regards to pests, I mean, I’m sure it could happen, but, without any scientific evidence, I think the heat would kill most of the organisms that could hurt fish? I’m taking one from Paul B’s book and going au naturale. I started doing the live foods and will be using fish oil as he recommends.

I can only speak for myself, but I only heat it after straining sand. High tide is best because it’s new water coming in, instead of old water and all the runoff leaving with the outgoing tide. I mean I think a boat would be best offshore, but it’s winter and my boat is in storage.

In regards to pests, I mean, I’m sure it could happen, but, without any scientific evidence, I think the heat would kill most of the organisms that could hurt fish? I’m taking one from Paul B’s book and going au naturale. I started doing the live foods and will be using fish oil as he recommends.
How does Paul use the fish oil?

I just let the NSW heat up, check the salt because it is low here and I have to add a little ASW salt. I may strain it through a fine net or coffee filter if it has a lot of floating seaweeds or other stuff in it. I never worry about pests, parasites or other things because I keep my fish immune. They will never get sick.

I use fish oil by putting maybe one drop on 20 pellets, shake it up and wait a few hours for it to soak in. Then feed it to the fish.
If like now I am feeding live worms and clams every day, I do not need the oil. You can not put fish oil, or Selcon on any frozen foods because oils on wet foods just fall off as soon as it hits the water so if you put that on frozen foods, you are wasting your time and your fishes time.

Seeing how I live a few minutes from the ocean maybe I should look into doing NSW... I should start doing some sort of water changes lol...

Back