Neal's SPS & ZOA/PALY SYSTEM Coral & Livestock pics thread...

pallobi

Neal
All pics should be very recent... all pics taken w/ my Droid Phone, 10.2 megapixel camera... i am also proud to say, as much color they have in the pics, they look much better in person... i seem to have had some incredible luck with the coloring of my corals to this piont (knock on wood), especially once they have been in my system for a while and settled in...

IMAG0649.jpg

IMAG0622-1.jpg

IMAG0628-1.jpg

IMAG0633-1.jpg

IMAG0632.jpg

Last edited:
omg.. I want..

Why did you setup the colonies like that? It looks really nifty, but now Im curious.

and the next photo is of my "nursery"... some are ready for mounting, some have a ways to go... from left to right, they are the following listed... please excuse pic, this one is pretty white washed... colors are better than they appear, especially the purple monster, though it still has a ways to go... the setosa, green birdsnest, green digi all have awesome color...

monti setosa
tyree purple monster
ora rose milli
ora green birdsnest
icefire echinata
karl's candlelight
500 efflo
ora chips
green monti digitata

IMAG0627.jpg

Excellent cell phone pics! Do you have any live rock in your tank? It looks like you are trying to re-create downtown Manhattan.

I think my post got buried. #2. What is the reasoning behind the stacks? It looks so cool.

I think my post got buried. #2. What is the reasoning behind the stacks? It looks so cool.

hey friend, sorry, your post didnt get buried, i jus got busy around the house... i always respond to all concerns and questions, and will continue to do so here, and ill get to everyone...

as far as your question, the following are some exerpts from my system thread on RC... i'll list a few that will help explain my ideas and theories for my approach... they are pasted here cuz i jus dont feel like typing it all again... lol

#1... the question was "whats up with the tiles?"

the tiles are my own thing... an idea thought of through wanting to display my corals and only the beauty of the corals themselves and emphasizing that above all else... as well as create a good enviroment for them to thrive along with barebottom and awesome flow (which i believe far too many do not have enough of, or understand how truely important it is)... I also do not like my corals contaminating my rock and/or growing on it, which is why i keep it in my fuge and sump... and i REALLY dont like seeing corals that have their growth inhibited by being cramped up against another colony... its my way of seperating my setup from what EVERYONE else in the world of reefing does... I am not a coral farmer as some have accused me of... however, like most everyone else, i do frag a bit here and there, but clearly if you look at my corals, i am no chop shop, for the most part they are completely left alone... i jus choose to make a display case style out of my setup... when it reaches the point of a couple years down the road, i hope to have a large, shallow tank with nothing but a spread of beautiful corals visually enhanced by altering, but pleasing to the eye heights along with the need of each colony first and foremost... right now i am thinking a 6' x 3' x 18" tall, lit with a (10) bulb, 60" t5 fixture... filled with hopefully 100 or more or so of my favorite sps and zoas/palys w/ a few select favorite fish of mine to add to it's beauty and presentation...

the tiles are not everyone's "cup of tea" as i have been trashed a little here and there about my approach... but there are many more who think its awesome and truely unique, which was my goal... unique, and different, but yet something of substance...

also the tiles allow me to adjust the light they get, the flow, and height of the corals placement in the water column... so i can really create a custom station for each and every colony... i will say, a standard 75g isnt the best tank to do this with, but for now its what i have... i do have a standard 120 in wait, but i dont think i am gonna use it for my corals at this point, if i use it at all... i prefer 18" or shorter for height, and even the 21" of my 75g now is too high for my liking... the tiles also make for an amazing place for pods to find safety and nest between... i cant even tell you how many pods of various sizes are in my system... thousands upon thousands... you really see them when you look in when the lights first come on in the morning...

so again, the tiles get different reviews, but its more about the beauty of the corals, the growth patterns I get with the heavy flow (dense and thick) and their overall health... so far, knock on wood, i have had some very good luck, even with all the mistakes i have made in the first year, which will not happen in my second year... of course barring anything stupid happening by chance...

personally, i love my approach, and aside from perhaps plumbing in a nano style small volume tank into my system so i can show off my aquascaping skills, i will never change my style of setup... I am the first i have seen in 5 years of reefing to do this, and I am very proud of it...

thanks for the interest in my system bud, and anyone else who jus appreciates the corals and can get past their particular dislike of my presentation and style

#2 same sort of question, jus some more info on my approach...

... it was jus kinda my idea of a showcase... one idea i had that i really liked, and i really think would look sharp... is using 1.5" acrylic rod as your column, and on the top have a 2.5" acrylic disc and a 3.5" disc on the bottom, and fuse them together to make a sleek, yet bold coral pedastal made of a very clean and clear material... i think this would look very clean and very awesome... and of course have them all in different and proprotioned heights... i was going to go with this, but when i priced it out, it jus wasnt financially feasable... to get roughly 40 pedastals, with a even number of them at 3", 4", 5" and 6"... it would be at least four hundred dollars, most likely more with the cost of materials... so i went another way... and also, it wasnt as heavy as the tiles, and isnt height adjusstable like the tiles, which i REALLY love about them...

and feel free to try it, i am not sure anyone else has gone in this direction with presentation and growth as i have not seen any anywhere in 5 years of saltwater (started April 06'), but please anyone and everyone... get creative, not only can it be a love for the ocean, but a method of art and expression... a real show of beauty, colors and shapes straight out of your sense of creativity... it gives you a whole new sense of pride about it... pushes you that extra mile and keeps you goin...

these things i get for $8... a 1' square with 36 tiles, and i jus remove them from the mesh backing... the glue that i cant get off doesnt seem to have any negative effect whatsoever and most will come off with a quick rubbing with a good file... so it helps... one thing I need to do is get some more lol, as always... but to start re-glueing them as when i first started i didnt realize how high i wanted to go, so some of them need a good re-do for the safety of the corals... but anyways, i am very satisfied with the look of the tiles... they are jus plain, uncoated in anyway, and jus have a good "underwater feel" when they color up a bit... personally, i think they work out great, and make for a great look... as well as make it very possible to keep the tank very clean looking especially in the area of detritus removal... with those 2 mp40s, that stuff doesnt have a chance... I even use a koralia magnum 6 at 2200 gph to keep everything off the bottom of my sump now i am gonna work on getting a diamond goby for the 65g to keep the sand constantly stirred... and its shallow, like 1/4" throughout the bottom... so i feel very little will settle their either, but i got some clean up crew so i am not too worried once i get the goby... again, hope this to become the nice lps and anenome part of my system... it wont be any nutrients for them, but ill feed them all for sure if they need it and jus to help them along...

anyhow, again, i encourage all to get creative... regardless of how over the top, or however simple... make it yours and unique... as many of you here do already and not to take anything away from anyone, as i have learned from so many of you... i think its the empowering feeling of creation mixed with that oceanic re-creation thing that gets us going about it all, and its the greatest thing about this hobby... its my passion, as well as yours...

#3 same sort of question, but much shorter answer lol

they jus make for a nice and clean, height differ'd display, and allow for lots of flow through the whole tank... jus kind of what i like to do and a good way to present my corals...

Excellent cell phone pics! Do you have any live rock in your tank? It looks like you are trying to re-create downtown Manhattan.

thank you, it takes some time to learn how to take pics with a cell phone, they are getting better slowly but surely lol...

I have at this time 4 large peices of live rock, which are kept in the 65g "fuge" i have... everything is plumbed in... i will take an updated pic soon... here is yet another exerpt from my other system thread on another site about my live rock in my system...

I jus wanted to take a couple moments and talk about this part of my system... I know I have basically no rock in my display and sump aside from my porcelian crabs shelter / clams resting spot... however I jus wanted to emphasize how important and crucial to my system's survival this part of my setup is... I do have great flow and a very much oversized and capable skimmer, but it is this live rock space that keeps my system so stable... without it, the system jus would not work properly... flow, skimming, and detritus removal are vital, but bio filtration is the most important part of any system I feel... it is the bacteria the rock and very shallow sandbed harbor that really do all the work in keeping my system pure... I have about 550+ gph running through this section of my system... about 4.5 times my total water volume...

I jus thought this was very important to point out as I dont want to encourage ANYONE to not have a good, solid bio-filter in any system they may keep...

imo... BIO-FILTRATION IS ALWAYS #1...

i will be adding a few more large peices of rock to my "fuge" once I feel its ready and fully and safely cured in the present holding tub... and again, ill post alot more pics of my system soon too :)

What monti is that....i def want it

this is a monitpora confusa... or i have seen some call it montipora spongodes... to me they are the same, but i am not sure if that is scientifically true or not... but i LOVE the growth, and have a couple more pics to post of it with better angles later tonite ;)

i am assuming this is the one you saw and were talking about...

IMAG0634-1.jpg

what kind of lighting do you have, luv the extension on the polyps.

yet another exerpt to help explain my lighting and thoughts on it... this is from exactly one month ago...

ok, so I have been going with this since upgrading to the (8) bulb 48" t5 Teklight fixture in february, featuring ATI bulbs...

front to back...

blue plus
true actinic
aquablue special
blue plus
blue plus
aquablue special
true actinic
blue plus

and will be changing it to the following, keep in mind the outer 2 spots on both sides are on one power supply, and the middle 4 are on the other... the 2 outer most on each side are the first on and last off, making them the "blue light" slots...

blue plus
blue plus
aquablue special
aquablue special
aquablue special
aquablue special
blue plus
blue plus

or I will alternate them, but probably not...

i want to add the 2 aquablue specials to the existing 2 to add to the lower kelvin rating to help with growth, but i will keep the 4 blue plus to keep the good color "pop", and "actinic" period... but who knows, ill have 2 extra true actinics and one purple plus (which i dont care for at all) once the 2 new aquablue specials get here, so i may change it a bit further, but i jus wana try the 4 and 4 combo above and see how the growth does with the lower overall kelvin rating... as I am still learning about good bulb mix...

also i realize i will lose some of that "pop" to the naked eye when the daylights are on, but if it helps the corals growth, it will be worth it... this is where i think if i alternate bulbs from front to back that it will help with this a bit... I am sure i will change it up a bit perhaps, but agan, we will see what happens... if i dont experiment with different looks, i wont learn...

i did in fact go with the 4 blue plus' on the outside, and 4 aquablue 12k specials on the inside middle... my red planet (no pic shown here yet) did bleach out like crazy when i jus change out the 2 acitnics for the 2 new aquablues... and it was 3" from the bottom of the tank...

IMO, ATI BULBS KICK FRIGGEN BUTT!

i havent checked my part, but i am sure it isnt lacking whatsoever... ;)

I jus wanted to take a couple moments and talk about this part of my system... I know I have basically no rock in my display and sump aside from my porcelian crabs shelter / clams resting spot... however I jus wanted to emphasize how important and crucial to my system's survival this part of my setup is... I do have great flow and a very much oversized and capable skimmer, but it is this live rock space that keeps my system so stable... without it, the system jus would not work properly... flow, skimming, and detritus removal are vital, but bio filtration is the most important part of any system I feel... it is the bacteria the rock and very shallow sandbed harbor that really do all the work in keeping my system pure... I have about 550+ gph running through this section of my system... about 4.5 times my total water volume...

I jus thought this was very important to point out as I dont want to encourage ANYONE to not have a good, solid bio-filter in any system they may keep...

imo... BIO-FILTRATION IS ALWAYS #1...

in regards to this exerpt in the #12 post above, some things have changed in my system since this was written a couple months back... i no longer keep porcelian crabs in the display as they are now in the "fuge" with all the live rock... and the clams are now gone, so there isnt one peice of rock in my display... also, there was a small amount of sand in my 'fuge", but i hated it and it is also barebottom now with increased flow, as well is the rest of my system... i have absolutely no sand whatsoever, and will most likely never again have sand in any system i run... there is now about 700 gph running through my "fuge"...

Last edited:
I was talking about the blue and green one encrusting the plug

OH! lol my bad... it is a pokerstar monti... pretty cool huh? i really love it... does great in my system...

again, i apoligize for my mistake and misunderstanding...

Your corals are beautiful and I think the tiles are awesome! Do you have a fts?

your very kind, thank you for the compliment... i really do get some mixed reviews to say the least, LoL... but i always appreciate comments :)

i dont have a new FTS as the last one is about a month old at least, and i like to keep them up to date, so ill clean it up a bit and take one tomorrow more likely than not...

:)

A little more info on my system... it was started last may, cycled for a month, starting with sterile dry rock and live aragonite... added fish and started adding frags (about hald dozen or so), seen here as well and some critters and fish... it was a 40g breeder w/ 1" sand bed, 30g breeder sump, w/ 20g high tank w/ a 7" deep sand bed with partial live aragonite and dry, about 100 lbs, perhaps less... 6 bulb t5 teklight w/ all Geissemann bulbs... and 1 mp10...

the system changed quite a bit the first 8 months, but the rock never left the system, only added to, though i dont use it all now and have let some go to other hobbyist recently... and the water was never changed when changes were made to the system, as in swapped out, only added to if needed... of course i do water changes, but i think you know what i mean... always have had strong skimming and lots of activated carbon use (minus one month last fall)... i knew nothing of calcium and alkalinity in regards to keeping sps LoL... was in the hobby for 4 years previously, jus not sps or really any lps... started with softies breifly, then went to only fowlr and invert tanks... until last year

8 months in which was january of this year 2011, i switched over to this 75g RR that was a fowlr til then, i no longer have a folwr, jus this one system...

my current setup consists of the following...

75g RR Barebottom SPS display w/ 8 bulb 48" t5Teklight (4 ATI blue plus & 4 ATI aquablue special), 2 Vortec mp40esW & Mag Drive 9.5 return pump... 65g tall RR Barebottom "fuge" w/ Mag Drive 9.5 return pump... 40g breeder sump w/ Reef Octopus 300 Extreme dual pump skimmer, Koralia Magnum 6 (for sump circulation), Finnex 300 watt heater, gravity fed auto top off & dual BRS carbon reactors (which are fed with the pump which also feeds my "fuge")

Display: 33 sps w/ Purple Tang, Sixline Wrasse & 15 Turbo Snails

Fuge: Coral Beauty Angel w/ tank bred Bangaii Cardinal pair & 7 Blue Porcelain Crabs

as well as a large arrow crab, and purple reef lobster in a large CPR in tank fuge, which is in my "fuge", the 65g RR...

Last edited:
Back