Need help building a stand

step johns

Non-member
So im looking to build myself a stand for a 40 breeder based off of this thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964, and i was wondering if using pocket holes for all of the joins would work with 2x4's? Also when i go to skin it, would 3/4" birch pressed board be too overkill and also how would i go about attaching that and then making doors? Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions, this will be my first big wood working project and i want to make sure i get it right and end up with something that will look nice to have in my house

Thanks

Just my .02. I would never use pressed board on anything that has water touching it. Plywood or planks. But not pressed particle board by any means.

What you see in the first pick is good for constructing. The load is carried on the uprights and use glue on the joints. The glue creates more of a surface tention against the two pieces of wood. More contact.

sorry i meant 3/4" birch plywood. What would be a good option to use to skin the stand? i can leave it open for as long as i need to im just looking in to my options

I am not so sure you even need 3/4" for something that size. Lets see what some of the wood workers here say.

Only reason i was thinking 3/4" was being i was going to attach the stand doors to it, so i figured it probably needed to be a bit thicker

Then go with that. Sounds reasonable to me. Nothing like trying to screw a screw into something that does not have enough meat to it.

I used the 3/4 birch for my 60g stand but didnt use 2x4s for support. many of these stand we build are way over engineered. I framed it out with 1x3 and then glued it all together and screwed it together with pocket screws...very similar to a cabinet. just remember a 40g tank is only roughtly 350 lbs.

pics
DSCF6045.jpg

DSCF6052.jpg

DSCF6050.jpg

finished
DSCF6282-2.jpg

the stand I made before the 60 gallon for my 75 when I was going to upgrade to a 120. I used 2x4s and skinned with 3/4" oak. I had plans to put it in my new living room but things changed and couldnt fit it...hence the downsize instead of upsize. It was a BEAST to move and way over built. I learned from that build that stands dont need that amount of support.
DSCF5143.jpg

DSCF5256.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with steve, alot of stand are way over built. I would use the 3/4" stock where ever you are installing doors. this will allow the hinges to mount firmly,most of the time the doors are on the front and using say.... 3/4" maple on all the front area will give you the 3/4" and a better look when stained. you could then skin a frame on the other 3 sides with a 1/4" maple ( using maple as example). glue go's a long way as mentioned.

here is a stand i built for 7' 210 gallon using 2x4 material!!! for frame and then skinned with maple 1/4"
210tankstandbuild001.jpg

210tankstandbuild022.jpg

have you ever tried to take apart wood thats been wood glued and screwed together? forgetaboutit...you need a crowbar.

hmm alright, thanks for all the input guys. I think i may just overengineer it since it will be my first stand and i want the piece of mind. But i know i will find for myself that it doesnt need to be that bulky.

Back