Need help from someone that has a etss 800

Eriks, did you try both of the steps I mentioned at the same time? If no then you should.

ON the return a reverse durso will rule out a few things from ever being a problem

Reverse durso hole drilled in the top for air vent(also double for slowly adding buffers if you flip is upside down)
Skimmer_durso.jpg

Inside shot
Inner_Skim_durso.jpg

yes while the intakes are blocked off a little i was turning the gate valve and it does move the water level. but the bubbles still kind of don't do much. i am going to go try it again.

If after you try all that and it still does not work. Then I am thinking the pump is a bit under sized for the way you have it setup.

Also in this pic it looks like the tube from the pump to skimmer is pinched quite a bit where it goes past the corner of the stand.
DSCF1459.jpg

was just going to say that /\ also some FYI etss work best at night with the lights off....this can make them harder to tune.

^^^^ yea, what Jenn said.

Do you still have it running with the iwaki 55? If so, can you post pics of that set up?

This is what mine looks like most of the time. At the time I took the picture the foam was only about 5 inches up the bottom tube, but you can see it was higher recently by all the foam hanging on the wall of the tube and in the collection cup.

ETSS skimmers spend a lot of their time looking like they are doing nothing, then build up foam for an hour or two, then go to absolutely nothing after a feeding. It's just the way they work. Like chew said, at night they tend to skim a lot since there's a long time between feedings.

Since the 800 has a very short main body tube, so you don't usually have the water/foam level up high in the tube like yours, especially if you use the Iwaki 55. My water level is in the box, only foam in the tube. If you do the air intake mod you can run the water level higher.

etss800.jpg

Last edited:
i got the intaked blocked off half way. and when i adjust the valve it does move were ever i want it. when i just went down there. there were bubbles all the way up like it was working and then stopped before. the bubbles are fine but not to fine. i adjusted it and going to see what it does over night if nothing tomorrow after work i am going to turn it and replumb it a little make it closer to the sump and turn it so that the return is shorter too. and no i put the mag 12 back on and gave the other one back to my friend. didn't want to keep it to long and somthing happen to it. lol then i would be buyn him a new one. i am going to post a want for a iwaki 55 or the GenX PCX 40

This is what mine looks like most of the time. At the time I took the picture the foam was only about 5 inches up the bottom tube, but you can see it was higher recently by all the foam hanging on the wall of the tube and in the collection cup.

ETSS skimmers spend a lot of their time looking like they are doing nothing, then build up foam for an hour or two, then go to absolutely nothing after a feeding. It's just the way they work. Like chew said, at night they tend to skim a lot since there's a long time between feedings.

Since the 800 has a very short main body tube, so you don't usually have the water/foam level up high in the tube like yours, especially if you use the Iwaki 55. My water level is in the box, only foam in the tube. If you do the air intake mod you can run the water level higher.

etss800.jpg

this pic just helped me out a lot now i know what it should look like when workign right. i am going to go play with it more and see what happens then will let u all know tomorrow.

Man, I need to work on my typing skills from my last post!

The other thing you can do with the air inlet mod is fit a barb on the opposite and run that to the exterior of your home, that way the skimmer draws fresh air. I did that with mine to help with ph drop in the winter.

ok i left it like that all night been playn with it and still not getting anything. right now i think it is worse then it was before.

Ets

I had a similar model ETS skimmer that I modded to allow control of the air flow. I put a couple of small valves on the air intakes and adusted them along with the output water flow using the included gate valve to optimize performance.

I can't remember which model (slightly higher towers than yours) but I used an Iwaki MD100RLT pressure rated pump.

Onr thing I recommend down the road is to empty the towers periodically and add new bioballs (or soak the new ones in vinegar or limeaway). I found that if I waited too long to do this, the bioballs were all "cemented" together ad were not easily removed. Good Luck

ok i left it like that all night been playn with it and still not getting anything. right now i think it is worse then it was before.

idk guys i have done everything and it is not doing anything at all. witch is not good does anyone have a skimmer they want to sell or want to trade me i will met up if needed. just somthing that will do at least 200gallons idc if it is a little down grade as long as i have somthing that works right now. or were should i go and what skimmer should i get if i got a new one.

Working any better now?

I just setup a 900 today with a BlueLine 55 and I don't know if it is breaking in issues or something else but I can't keep a steady level in the skimmer, it seems to surge out every now and then.

for the first week i keep it kind of low just so it wouldn't over flow then after that i set it to were it should be to work and left if started to work right after a little while with no overflow but now it is a b****. i got the water level all the way up to the cup and it is working slowly. idk what to do anymore kind of wish i could just find someone to trade for one a little smaller that is easy to work with out bio balls.

Back