Need help from someone that has a etss 800

I can't see the gate valve in the pic? It's not straight plumbed without a valve is it?

ok the gate valve is right behind the skimmer and yes it is just and elbow into the sump it is how i have seen it. i have cleaned everything before i started it up and i been doinjg everything i could think of. and no matter how much i adjust the valve now the bubbles like do not want to do much of anything just water level rises. pics would be great of how everyone has theres set up. because i am so lost right now it is not funny i am about to pull it all apart and start all over again with the dame thing. that is how much it has my going nuts lol.

It sounds to me like you have 2 seperate problems.

1. The air inlet needs a valve to adjust how much air is getting in. Right now you have too much air. The more you restrict the air the smaller the bubbles will get, there is a fine line tho.

2. The output from the skimmer is creating a direct siphon and pulling the water out of the skimmer faster than it gets pumped in. Slowly close the gate valve untill the water level in the skimmer starts to rise. Careful you do not close it all the way.

once you have these 2 thing addressed then you can tune it to where you want it.

Jennifer is correct on the siphon, but if you don't vent the return you will have pressure/siphon issues and tuning the skimmer will be troublesome. It will never run consistently

Jennifer is correct on the siphon, but if you don't vent the return you will have pressure/siphon issues and tuning the skimmer will be troublesome. It will never run consistently

Second that %100

Also, this is probably a crazy question, but what is the salinity of the water in the system?

Second that %100

Gotta disagree with you on this one. It's exactly how I have mine running. My skimmer empties into the first compartment in my sump which has a constant level. Due to the constant level there is a constant syphon, creating a constant vacuum, so it's not hard to get it consistent. I did it with the vent and without. The only difference was I had to close the gate a little more without the vent, and it was MUCH more quiet without the vent.

Anyway, from the pics I still think it's not enough air, not enough flow, both or not enough poop in the water.

Vent is silent if you run a reverse Durso, it also eliminates salt spay, bubbles. and adjusts to changes in weather as well.

This is my experience but everyone has their own ways

Gotta disagree with you on this one. It's exactly how I have mine running. My skimmer empties into the first compartment in my sump which has a constant level. Due to the constant level there is a constant syphon, creating a constant vacuum, so it's not hard to get it consistent. I did it with the vent and without.
Why would you disagree when you actually just gave the same answer as to how to fix it? (see below)
The only difference was I had to close the gate a little more without the vent, and it was MUCH more quiet without the vent.

Anyway, from the pics I still think it's not enough air, not enough flow, both or not enough poop in the water.

Smithcreek : what happens when you open your gate valve all the way?

Gotta disagree with you on this one. It's exactly how I have mine running. My skimmer empties into the first compartment in my sump which has a constant level. Due to the constant level there is a constant syphon, creating a constant vacuum, so it's not hard to get it consistent. I did it with the vent and without. The only difference was I had to close the gate a little more without the vent, and it was MUCH more quiet without the vent.

I won't argue it at all. My exp is with a PM bullet, though I assume the mechanics of the drain should be quite similar.

Where I've run into issues without a vent on the drain has only been when my top off container has run empty. That would cause the sump level to change and then the skimmer would go nutty. As you said, with a very consistent sump level, the siphon should stay consistent and thus no problems. (I still don't like the idea of trying to keep the siphon constant over having no siphon, but why split hairs :) )

The difference is keeping a constant siphon vs no siphon.

With a vent there is no siphon effect and the gate valve slows the water as it tries to get out of the skimmer. Without a vent you keep a constant siphon and use the gate valve to slow/restrict it. (I know this makes no sense at all at first glance, but it does work that way :confused: )

ok i need pics guys i am going to go pull this thing a part and replume this thing. the side were my skimmer dumps into stays the same highte unless i shut the return pump off. also when i plumbe the skimmer in should my return be under water or should i leave it above the water level. and if someone has aim that i could talk to how to do this would be great. i just want to get this thing workign right if it takes redoing it all that is fine.

here is my aim Dsmjunkeygsx

Last edited:
Eriks; Do you have a gate valve on the outlet. If so you may not need to replumb.

yes i have a gate valve it is just behind the skimmer. i was going to to make the plumbing shorter and to change the way the water dumps into the sump. the end of the elbow is only 1/8 under water should it be out instead. i am new to all of this sump thing. my last tank i had canisters on it and a hong on back skimmer was so easy. lol

If it is out of water you may get more micro bubbles in the sump.
I would give the recommended steps a try and see if that works. If it does not then we can help you try to find a good solution.

If the water level in the skimmer surges up and down or is not constant then you may need to add a vent. But 1 step at a time.

I think someone already asked, but do you have a very consistent water level in the sump where the skimmer drains?

i put small peaces of like tape over the intakes like half way and it didn't seem to do much. smaller bubbles ya and should i put a vent on my return or should it be fine.

Back