Need help looking for a power center/strip

vp6799

Non-member
I'm trying to clean up the wiring disaster that's under my 72 Bow and was planning on building some type of power center with 12 outlets (2 extra if needed in the future) by buying PVC electrical boxes, outlets, and light switches from the depot. While going through the pics section, I saw a bunch of tank pics that have a power center with individually controlled outlets that have light up switches.

That seems like a nicer idea and is more space saving than my other idea. Wondering where everyone is getting these at? Are they reliable?

I'll be running:

mag 7 skimmer pump
water blaster 3000 return pump
2 150W heaters
JBJ LED Fuge light
JBJ ATO
MP10WES
MP40WES
2 AI SOL LED lights

Here's a link to a thread with the one pictured. It's in the 3rd pic on the inside right side of the stand:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?120054-54-corner//

Thanks
Vic

American dj 8 is what you saw. A controller is also nice to have and most have 8 outlets that are controllable. I got an acjr a few years back for $100 with the power strip. Best money spent on the reef in a lOng time.

Last edited:
don't buy a coralife one unless you like spontaneous combustion....

Yup, the DJ8 was a nice addition to my setup. It will be running my frag tank so I can control everything without buying another EB8 for my Apex...

Dont know if you are looking for a full controller. But if you are, the Neptune Apex is awesome, one of my better purchases EVER

If you don't have a controller and you can budget an Apex, then definitely go for it. That will end up doing a heck of a lot more than just cleaning up your wiring!

My equipment spans two floors and I have a power center in each. There are two dedicated circuits from the electrical box. Those are both split and on each floor I have two GFCI outlet boxes, one for each of the circuits. So if the GFCI trips on one floor, nothing will be impacted on the other floor. Only a breaker tripping in the main box could impact both floors. Never had that happen. (Knock on wood.) Those are mounted on plywood panels way up above the water level. Then I have controllable and non-controllable power strips mounted on the boards next to them. Multiple levels of redundancy.

Not sure if you're into viewing your aquarium as a fault-tolerant system engineering challenge, but you can get pretty creative especially if you throw the controller into the mix. Hehe.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all the help. I really can't afford a controller right now so this is my next best bet to neaten up all the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back