Need help with dosing plan...

Sorry about that Tom. Here is the link to the level controller and float valve for top off:

http://www.reeffanatic.com/products/float-switch-and-level-control/

You can't just dump lime water into your sump like RO water - it needs to be SLOWLY dripped in - otherwise your ph will go through the roof.

You can however, just add Randy's 2 part every day manually. But you should add the CA and ALK parts seperately (wait maybe 1/2 hour after you add one before you add the other). Otherwise you will have a "snowstorm" in your tank (believe me, I just had this happen in my SW mixing container). I use pumps and timers to automate the whole process so I don't have to worry when I'm not home. The timers go down to the minute - so I can drip CA or ALK in a minute intervals throughout the day. I bought these timers on ebay - they work great.

I hope this helps to clarify. If not, let me know.

Daire

Wow I had no idea I would have to dose Randys Recipe daily!!:eek:

That Kent dosing bottle I posted cant do it? Or maybe I can not mix it all? I cant use that just for the lime water topoff?

What if I do by a calcium reactor now? How much easier will this become?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all a little confusing where I have never dosed before.

Thanks

Can I just use this for my lime water topoff for now and dose randys recipe manually?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3677&N=2004+113592
I wouldn't becuase you would be dosing 2 alk and Ca supplements at once and may dose too much. Kalk is the easier route but slightly more expensive. Randy's 2 part is very cheap, but a little more of a hassle.

Don't know if you've read this, but it's an article by Randy detailing the pros/cons/cost of various methods to maintain alk and Ca levels, including kalk, Ca reactors, 2 parts, one parts.
from the article.
"1. Does the tank have a sump where you can add high pH additives with less concern about nearby corals? If so, that’s a plus for limewater, Biocalcium, and the high pH two-part additives.

2. Do you have a good skimmer or other source of aeration? If so, that is a plus for using limewater (that needs to suck CO2 from the air) or a calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactor (that needs to blow off excess CO2). If not, using Biocalcium, All in One, or a two-part additive that has a small pH effect (like the bicarbonate B-ionic) may be better choices.

3. Is your home very tightly sealed, with possibly high indoor CO2? That is a plus for using limewater or a high ph two-part additive as they will counteract the tendency toward low pH.

4. Do you have space under or behind the tank for equipment? If so, that is a plus for limewater or CaCO3/CO2 reactors that need space and are typically unattractive. If not, that is a big plus for the simpler additives (two-part systems, All in One, Biocalcium).

5. Are you handy with complex systems? That is a plus for CaCO3/CO2 reactor systems and complicated auto top-off systems using limewater. If not, that is a plus for the simpler systems.

6. Are you very concerned about copper or phosphate in your tank? If so, pick limewater.

7. Are you going to leave the tank unattended for more than a few days? Pick a system with automatic delivery (many can be automated with the right selection of appropriate equipment, except Biocalcium).

8. Will the tank have a very high demand for calcium and alkalinity? That is, will it have lots of fast growing corals? If so, a CaCO3/CO2 reactor would likely be the best choice.

9. How much is cost an issue? For lowest cost, a cheap limewater drip will probably be best."

Yes I have to much running through my head

So, I cant use that Kent doser just for lime water topoff?

I wouldn't becuase you would be dosing 2 alk and Ca supplements at once and may dose too much. Kalk is the easier route but slightly more expensive.

Ok....getting more confused but probably my fault.

I thought I will have to use Randys Recipe and topoff with Lime water?

Come on all you pros....There is nothing more you would rather do on a Saturday night then help this idiot....:D

I am going to go read this, "Thread answering the question pros and cons of calcium reactors vs. kalk reactors"

And....DIY lime water dripper and see if either help

Last edited:
Tom, we're talking about a 90gal tank with LPS and a couple of SPS, and no clams?
Your calcium demand isn't going to be gigantic.
You could do the daily doising of Randy's 2 part (or 3 part) and maintain. Adding lime water to this mix would ensure alk and calcium are consistently high.

Or, you could go the easier (and more expensive way) and just go with a calcium reactor alone. It's a little overkill for that tank and demand, but it sure is easier once dialed in.

Moe that actually helped, I was incorporating to many things in my head at once and getting confused for nothing. I have to start over my plan and keep it simple. Just to clarify though, if I do purchase a reactor--what else needs to be done?

Now on to the initial plan:

So first is limewater(kalk) topoff. I want to start next week. If my levels are good I start this anyway to maintain?

I think this will be great to start out: You think I can do a larger version of this and use it as my RO ropoff and limewater for now?

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/skip/agu/kalkdripper.htm

Last edited:
Moe that actually helped, I was incorporating to many things in my head at once and getting confused for nothing. I have to start over my plan and keep it simple. Just to clarify though, if I do purchase a reactor--what else needs to be done?
It needs to be assembled you need CO2, and you need to dial it in.
After that, you shouldn't need much else. Maybe test magnesium and supplement that once or twice per month.

ok, thank you. I plan to buy one soon anyway. That way if I go heavier on the SPS and decide to add clams later, I can without to much more.

Now, is my question with limewater/topoff ok, or do I have to seperate them? And thanks for that link.

What happens if you are doing topoffs with lime water and your levels become to high?

i currently dose bionic 2 part and i have excellent calcification on my lps and sps. my frogspawn actually fused to a peice of liverock and could not be seperated. there are many recipes out there. kalkwasser is a wonderfull product also just a bit more work, u have to mix it to get a form of limewater. what i like about bionic is it also replenishes additional trace elements such as strontium and magnesium

Back