Need Help?

YOOZE

Non-member
I have a reef flow snapper external pump that i just set up today. The pump is in the basement with about a 10-11' to the head ,the problem is i cant get the water there and i know the pump is strong enough to push the water ,but this is my first basement to first floor project just didnt no if anybody has any ideas on whats going on or maybe im doing something wrong. thanks

the maximum head on a snapper is 11 feet so you are not going to get what you need for water up at ten to eleven feet sorry.I maybe be wrong but if i am remembering correctly those are not a high pressure pump but are really a high flow pump

Last edited:
No but you could try downsizing the output pipe by half.some of them will push less water higher BUT BY RESTRICTING THE OUTPUT IN A SMALLER PIPE THE END RESULT WILL BE PREMATURE FAILURE OF THE PUMP.The best option is to find a more suitable pump sorry.for example if you want to move 500gph 10 feet high it is best to find a pump capable of twice that so you have flow to spare for reactors refugium frag tank or whatever else you might want to hook up down by the sump

The Reeflo snapper is not going to push that head in any setup. The Reeflo Snapper and Dart are really only suited for under tank or closed loop setup.

basements sumps generally start at a minimum 13' head, unless it is a raised sump.

To really give any solid recommendations we would need to know a bit more about you setup tank size overflow(1, 2?)? drain pipe sizing?. split returns?
check valves, gate/ball valves? Then we can apply head apply the proper head height to find and recommend suitable pump. Over sizing a pump can be a waste of energy and
that will cost you in the long run.

Last edited:
Thank you guys i guess im putting a pump up fs on the forum lol . I'm thinking a mag 18 should be plenty to push threw my chiller ,reactor then return not sure yet or i might keep the snapper and run that threw all my fixtures considering its a very efficiant machine then go a little smaller on the return???? dont no yet ,but thanks again

I would use one of the calculators to figure headloss and all the other variables chiller reactors fuge frag tank etc.And purchase one pump that will do it all for you.You will be much happier in the long run if you just do it right once for a basement sump I would definitely do an external pump and build a manifold to feed the other equipment much easier to regulate flow to fuge and chiller that way.I have done the pile of pumps in the sump thing and it sucks just opinion.But i will be cheaper in the long run

Ya me and the wife just discussed this and she was thinking the same thing so i guess thats what im doing lol....

Thank you guys i guess im putting a pump up fs on the forum lol . I'm thinking a mag 18 should be plenty to push threw my chiller ,reactor then return not sure yet or i might keep the snapper and run that threw all my fixtures considering its a very efficiant machine then go a little smaller on the return???? dont no yet ,but thanks again

You should look at Ocean runner, Ehiem, octopus or pumps like that. Mag pump are pretty much utility pump and energy hogs. I would go with a pump rated for your chiller by the manufacturer.

What are you running for in tank flow? A snapper is energy efficient enough to run as a closed loop.

I do not agree with the one pump to support the entire tank it leave no room for a fail safe should it die. Also it is not worth it to try and run a chiller on your return.

By separating the pumps you can build in circulation to all areas of the system, should the main pump fail. Which also brings up the point of running your system on multiple electrical circuits should one trip the other will still support the tank. By not using large pumps you can use more efficient pumps. One pump for all creates a tremendous amount of head pressure requiring an even larger pump

Try and take the whole setup into consideration and plan for the worst.

Greg's idea of multiple return pumps is a tried and true suggestion from a number of our presenters who have done reef redundancy/reef disaster prevention type presentations.

Back