Need some help on sorting my tank

showard

Non-member
I am having a hard time getting rid of dinos. I think this is because I am a total genius and broke some rock apart, on purpose for mounting frags on, and rinsed them in the tank because I am lazy... Word to the wise... don't do that in large quantities. I have not tested my water but I do have dinos growing on a lot of surface area in my tank. This started about 3 weeks ago when I did that. Stringy little buggers on my deep water sps too... I will test my water eventually but I am sure that silicate, phosphate and other crud from inside the rocks is feeding the pest algae and dinos. I also had some thick skimmate get back into my tank when I accidentally dumped my skimmer cup when changing skimmers. I upgraded from a aquac ev180 to a bashsea 6-24.

I have done a 10 gallon water change on 3/5 and no change... so I did a 20 gallon water change on 3/9. I will most likely make more RODI and do another and scrub down the rocks. I do not want to go with the GFO and strip the water. That and I do not want to be changing media out on a regular basis. I would rather not strip the water because there is a high possibility for RTN and STN... which brings me to my montipora problem... I have STN. Yup there I said it. All of my monitpora are STN'ing. I checked for nudi's but I can see the flesh lifting off the monitporas and peeling off so I don't think thats it and I dip every coral in Bayer. My theory is that the crud from the rock is in the water and the monit's don't like it. It includes cap, undata and the encrusting montipora. Very sad because I love my cap.

Other possible causes could be that:
-I have the AFS and it feeds 2 times a day (spectrum pellets) maybe too much food.
-I use ZAP super glue kicker and rinsed some frags that have been freshly glued in the tank (I know I know...).
-My salt is red sea coral pro maybe excess phos/silicate? I have been using it for about 4 months now. Algae and dinos showed up around 3 weeks ago.

Here is my tank info:
-90 Gallon glass tank with 200lbs+/- of LR, barebottomed (no sand)
-lit by 4 evergrow d120's for no shadows and maximum sps coverage
-jebao rw-20 wavemaker on random mode only on level 3 (out of 10) and a jebao rw-20 to keep the detritus off the bottom
-finnex 300watt heater
-apex controller
-geo 618 calcium reactor with ehiem pump
-bashsea 6-24 twisted beckett injection skimmer; powered by mag 9.5
-300gph return pump
-40" custom acrylic sump 1/2" acrylic with bubble traps, more live rock (thinking of removing some because I have so much), cheato and grape culerpa macro algae light with a 2 bulb 24" t5
-RODI unit tests at 50-60ppm in 0ppm out (I check every time)

My plan is to install a cheato reactor, possibly 2 on opposite light cycles for ph balancing effects and then use 6500k leds inside the tubes to get more phosphate out of the water and silicate as well.

It is a mixed reef so yes there may be chemical warfare but I have a blue hippo tang and don't want to give him HLLE from activiated carbon. I bought a blue hippo from a local reefer who had activated carbon and the poor things face look like it was mutilated...

Also thinking of sending water to Triton Labs just for giggles. As well as maybe picking up a neptune DOS for automatic water changes on a regular basis.

If anybody has any thoughts please let me know.

Thank you,
Sam

Just got a hanna low range phosphate meter.... its 0.15... Im gonna go make some RODI. Really thinking I should get the DOS for automatic water changes now.... :S

Back