Need some skimmer purchase advice

Jb83

Non-member
My skimmer crapped out and now I need to find a new one. My old one was a crappy brand so I'd like to use this opportunity to upgrade. I have a 120gal display and a 55gal sump. I'd estimate I'm around 140gal total capacity with all my rocks. Here is my dilemma, my skimmer chamber has 14in of water. Most skimmers I've found need 6-8in. I have 32in under my stand so that's going to be a tight fit if I shim it up. What's my best option?

Just use a skimmer stand and a skimmer that twists off for cleaning. In my old 120 I ran a Vertex Omega 180i. I absolutely loved that skimmer, but upgraded my tank to a 220 and it was undersized. I now run a Vertex Alpha 200. If your interested, I'm selling the Omega, just pm me. I can throw in a stand also.

I have an Omega 150 on my 200gallons mix reef with plenty of large fish that eat and poop all day long. Love the skimmer.
You can build a skimmer stand out of egg crate to adjust the water level to any height you want.

I have an Omega 150 on my 200gallons mix reef with plenty of large fish that eat and poop all day long. Love the skimmer.
You can build a skimmer stand out of egg crate to adjust the water level to any height you want.

Well I guess that's that. Vertex it is. Thanks guys!

Ended up with a vertex 180. My water has never been so clear. It is a very tight fit under the stand but for the end result it's worth it! Thank for the advice guys and thank you Eddie for everything

Ended up with a vertex 180. My water has never been so clear. It is a very tight fit under the stand but for the end result it's worth it! Thank for the advice guys and thank you Eddie for everything

You're very welcome. You'll love that skimmer.

Back