New camera, still figuring out how to use it

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Got a new Sony NEX-5T camera. Using the default lens, need to get a macro lens.

The thing captures the colors so much better than my Samsung Galaxy S3 or old Cannon.
Focusing is a pain in the neck, brain, and fingers.

First, finally real color of my RBTA. Don't know why the color was impossible for the other cameras.
DSC00397_zpsa7c8d788.jpg

Montipora undata (I think) that needs a trim:
DSC00461_zps46ea354e.jpg

Bam Bam zoos:
DSC00459_zps0fe53c18.jpg

Eagle eye zoo frag I'm giving away at May meeting:
DSC00444_zps3b34469f.jpg

More of above:
DSC00443_zps3a639128.jpg

Cool orange zoos and bad ol' green palythoas.. finally getting the color right:
DSC00441_zpsee514b71.jpg

Green slimer with powder blue photobombing:
DSC00431_zps3b8a638c.jpg

Finally good pic of dragon eye zoos.. .Had to take 84 pictures to get the focus to work:
DSC00417_zpsd95cfc85.jpg

Last one; pink palys and dragon eyes. Focus is off here, and it frustrates me.
DSC00413_zps4a86a7e5.jpg

Really last one; I thought this macro shot of my Xenia cam out pretty cool

DSC00449_zps1beb4e67.jpg

nice pics and thanks for the identification of some of the subjects in your pics, it helps a newbie like me.

One thing I have noticed in taking pics of my tank, to get the best pics I have to have the lens glass parallel to the glass of the tank and the subject on the same plane as you, this produces the best results once you start shooting at angles through the glass like say down at something on the bottom of your tank you start seeing something like refraction and blurring of colors. When I first started taking pics of my tank I thought it was focusing issues until I figured this out so don't be too quick to blame the camera/lens combo because that BTA and Xenia came out really nice and sharp through the whole image. I also have a couple spots in my tank that I can not get a clean shot and think it has to do with the glass in that spot.

Have fun with it you have some great subjects and good luck getting pics of your fish, they never sit still.

Moe, these definately look better on a flat panel than my Iphone.

Are you using a stand for the camera or free hand?

nice pics and thanks for the identification of some of the subjects in your pics, it helps a newbie like me.

One thing I have noticed in taking pics of my tank, to get the best pics I have to have the lens glass parallel to the glass of the tank and the subject on the same plane as you, this produces the best results once you start shooting at angles through the glass like say down at something on the bottom of your tank you start seeing something like refraction and blurring of colors. When I first started taking pics of my tank I thought it was focusing issues until I figured this out so don't be too quick to blame the camera/lens combo because that BTA and Xenia came out really nice and sharp through the whole image. I also have a couple spots in my tank that I can not get a clean shot and think it has to do with the glass in that spot.

Have fun with it you have some great subjects and good luck getting pics of your fish, they never sit still.

You are right if you shoot at an angle to the glass it will distort the image. But in Moe's images the cameras is set to a large aperture making for a shallow depth of field which reduces the amount of depth of focus in the image. In some images the focus is just behind the subject so the subject is slightly blurred. His camera is also set to iso100 For tank shots it would be better @ iso400. He is in auto mode and the camera is setting his aperture to f4.0-5.0 shutter speed of 1/60th of a second. So yes he has a shallow depth of field and the closer to the subject he is the smaller the depth of field gets and the more accurate his focus has to be. Moving to iso400 will allow a larger aperture and more depth of field giving some room for the subject to be in focus.

Looks at the slimer the front of it is blurred but the center is in focus and the back is blurred that is how shallow the depth of field is

Dragons eyes look at the LR behind them it is sharp

Where as the eagle eyes it is the glass distortion

please do not take this as I am saying you are wrong just building on your conversation

Last edited:
Moe, these definately look better on a flat panel than my Iphone.

Are you using a stand for the camera or free hand?

Free hand on auto. I believe it compensates for shakiness.
I should adjust as Delta suggested and use a tripod.

please do not take this as I am saying you are wrong just building on your conversation

No offense was taken, all valid points and great discussion points, if going handheld because I am chasing a fish around the tank I will typically shoot at 1200 ISO to achieve a shutter of 120 to 200.
Another tip from a fish photog friend of mine was to turn off all the pumps and flow, it does not take much movement to blur a shot or nothing worse to get that perfect shot and a fish turd happen to float by right as you snapped the shutter.

Practice Practice Practice, imagine doing this in the film days LOL, With all the variable it is nothing to take 100-200 pictures to try to get one picture you like. just another fun aspect of the hobby.

Free hand on auto. I believe it compensates for shakiness.
I should adjust as Delta suggested and use a tripod.

My comment was somewhat based on handheld. Another rule of thumb for handheld is always use a faster shutter speed than your working focal length. So if you are shooting at 105mm you would want a shutter speed of 125th or faster. Granted image stabilization reduces that to a degree but it is a good to give you a starting point. The advice will give you enough light to use a smaller shutter speed for more depth of field. But enough of the technical stuff we need more pics Moe :)

Last edited:
Took some more shots tonight set on manual. Still can't get the focus right.

My RBTA

DSC00491_zps370ac86e.jpg

Green palys on capricornis. Gotta get the Dremel going here.

DSC00492_zpsa684c630.jpg

I like these blue palys
DSC00507_zpsd9323fa9.jpg

Bam Bam rock. Somethings up w/ my chemistry because the zoos are closed too often.

DSC00509_zps87f86538.jpg

Got these at the BRS auction. Can't recall the name.

DSC00510_zpsc3088e0e.jpg

Cool orange guys. Also looking timid these days. Not sure what's up.

DSC00511_zps71d3123e.jpg

Green slimer with some fish:

DSC00518_zpsd2c4a9fd.jpg

Cool acro that I can't wait for to take off. Enough base, grow stalks!

DSC00547_zps25377281.jpg

Blue Tubbs

DSC00550_zpsaaed9212.jpg

Back