New tank life - Cool :)

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
Watching the life develop in a reeftank is soo cool.

The last time I started a new tank was about 6 yrs ago, I forgot how interesting this process is, maybe others have as well ?

I'm watching my new downsize tank get established. It's a 40B, water in beginning of november.
-50# Marco rock cured in a trashcan for a month, then added 2 months ago. --Tank innoculated with 2-3lbs of nice LR, and a couple of cups of LS from my old frag tank.
-150# southdown
-may frags added over the past 3 wks.
-2 turbo snails added
-4 astrea snails added

This is Amazing to watch. The populations of snails, pods, mini stars, tiny shrimp, worms exct is exploding. It almost looks like the tank itself has ick because there are so many little specks all over the glass. Literally thousands of little bugs and snails and whatnot everywhere....

Just sayin, it's easy to forget, the beginning can be really cool :)
Also sayin, I'm just learning how well worth-it it is to let a tank run in for a few months before adding fish...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just thinking the same thing tonight as I looked into my refugium with a pair of reading glasses I had on to view some small detailed project I'm working on and saw it's loaded with pods, spaghetti worms and mini starfish. Makes you think about being careful when siphoning tank water.

I remember the first time I saw the little creatures on my tank... I would just sit there and stare at the tank for hours looking for the pods... Thanks John now I want to start another tank :rolleyes:

It pretty wild, huh.

There's a part of me that wanted to keep my tank fish-free so that it could keep high population levels of those critters.

I know, it's so cool. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing when hermits would look around for another home and watch them switch shells. Invertebrates are so interesting to watch.

Pretty much downsized at the same time to the same tank. It's fun, and the best part of a 40B is no tippy-toe, armpit deep reaches to the back of the tank.

Back