New to BRS - Dartmouth

howieumd

Non-member
Hi, I'm new to BRS, but have had pretty sizable tanks for about 15 years now. I live in North Dartmouth. I started with a 75 gallon bowfront that I bought from Underwater World and it got me addicted to this hobby. I then upgraded to a 240 gallon FOWLR around 2005. About 3 years ago I tore it down and sold off my stock, but then decided to get back into it and now have a 390 gallon reef tank. It's currently going through a fallow period as I had a velvet outbreak due to poor QT practices. I won't make that mistake again, and have 3 QT tanks going right now. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of locals on here. I've mostly bought my stock online, but definitely want to start buying more locally.

Thank you. I'll post some soon. Corlas are new to me, only have about 30 small frags right now that are sitting mostly on sandbed. I need to mount them, and will post some pics once I do.

welcome to brs i read some of your post on reefcentral when you where doing the two tank sump set up .
i actually copy some of that design for my tank

welcome to brs i read some of your post on reefcentral when you where doing the two tank sump set up .
i actually copy some of that design for my tank

Thanks. I actually ended up changing over to one sump recently as I needed more room for other stuff. How's it working out for you that way?

Welcome! This is a great community and we're glad to have you.

What are you doing for QT practices these days?

Welcome! This is a great community and we're glad to have you.

What are you doing for QT practices these days?

I have 3 QT tanks going right now. I have two 20 gallons and a 50 gallon.

Right now one of the 20 gallons is a hospital tank for the fish left from the velvet outbreak. They are in Cupramine and have been for about 3 weeks. I plan to remove copper next week as they seem to be doing a lot better. The Purple Tang broke out with some HLLE, but I was told that is normal for that type of fish while under copper. It has started to go away.

In my 50 gallon QT I have 8 various fairy/flasher wrasses and 2 assessors. They are going through second round of prazi right now and will be getting a 2 week treatment of Copper Power, which sounded like the safest copper for wrasses. I don't really want to put them through it, but not taking a risk with another velvet/ich outbreak after dealing with this last one.

My other 20 gallon QT is for my angels, a Regal, Joculator, and Shepardi. They are on their second round of prazi as well, and will be followed up with for a 2 week treatment of Chloroquine Phosphate.

All fish are eating fine under the current treatments in all 3 tanks.

Welcome, I just bought a home in acushnet, good having fellow reefers in the area.

Thank you! Looking forward to meeting some locals. I'm just getting started with corals, once they are big enough to frag, we'll have to start trading amongst each other.

Thanks. I actually ended up changing over to one sump recently as I needed more room for other stuff. How's it working out for you that way?
it worked great but have the same issues no room for anything else under the cabinet .
but the dual was great it allowed me to have a big fuge full of live rock and macro algae also a place to trow fish in when they where being bad . t one point I had 10 clowns divide all over my tank was crazy 3 on the main display 3 on the sumo 2 on the fuge and one on a box .
the copper pods and anphypods where growing in there like crazy .

Awesome, another local! Welcome to BRS and greetings from Somerset. :)

I'm actually laughing at all these local members crawling out of the woodwork. Since when am I surrounded by so many locals?!
Lol I thought it was only me and a 3-4 others in Southcoast Mass. I'll be darned.

It seems like there's quite a few of us in the area, which is great. I just received my pair of Latz (wide-band) clowns this morning. clowns.jpgclowns2.JPG

No, got them online, somebody who breeds Latz clowns out of his home. $300 for the pair shipped. They usually range from $250-$500 each from other online stores. He's got more available, PM me if you want his info.

Back