New to group...

lizzardking

Non-member
hello all! first off i want to thank all the mod's and admin's for all the hard work. the site is very well put together! it works so well b/c of its great members. i have sent a few pm's to people and have already gotten priceless info and im really really excited b/c this weekend (fingers crossed) i will be getting some used equipment from a member here. :D My current setup is a 55g tank 65w pc lights w/ moon lights CPR hang on tank skimmer 30g fuge located higher then my main tank. both tanks are on simple metal stands. the water is currently pushed from my main tank w/ a pump located in the tank. my fuge has a healthy 6'' dsb my main thank has about 3'' of crushed coral. i have had my tank up for over four years now and i feel like i have out grown my skimmer. so after lots of reasearch and hunking on the posts here i am getting a euroreef c-6. this purchase has motovated me to the largest project i have ever done :O the plan is to add a sump to house the skimmer. doing this will help me open up alot of space in my main tank that is currenty being used by pumps/skimmer box/heater. this week i am going to be building a new stand out of 2x4 so that the sump will be behind doors. i am aslo going to build a new stand for the fuge and add a smaller reverse lit fuge under that. basically my idea as of now will include a 30 gal sump below the 55g display tank. the sump will house my euroreef (i am planning on making it into the recirc. mod using the overflow) as well as a mag 9.5 as a return pump. the pump will feed the 2 fuges and the main display tank. the reverse lit fuge will dump back into the sump. the display fuge will still dump into the display tank. finally i am planning on scrapping the crushed coral bed in the display tank and going for the same sand used in both fuges. i have included a pic (i drew it up very fast) some things i am not to sure about are if the pump is properly sized. i am planning on adding a gate valve to ensure proper flow. i have also read about the mags heating up the water. i will be running the pump submurged. also not sure what to do with the current live stock.....i have an extra 20g empty so i was going to house my little guys bare bottomed in there w/ some live rock and skimmer for the 2 days it will take me to convert my tank. i am not sure if the 20g will be large enough and im not to sure i want to just stick em in a dark 55g bucket :( is 2 days long enough? i am hoping that because the 30g fuge is completly cycled and has been running for over a year now i can get my system back online quicker.
-is a mag 9.5 properly sized for this application? heating issues?
-should i change over my display's crushed coral substrate
-how long will it take before the tank is back on line and ready for critters?
-is it possible to use bare bottom tank w/ live rocks and skimmer to set-up temp housing? i dont own any fancy corals....i have been trying like mad to hold off buying anythink till my setup is completed.

Attachments

• Tank1.JPG
    Tank1.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 158
Hi lizzardking,

fishswim.gif

To the Boston Reefers' Society!!

Glad you finally got to post. ;)

Crushed coral? Uh oh... talk to Rob Toonen about that when he visits in March.

i hope to not have any by then....just a wonderfully skimmed reef and fresh clean sand. just ewanted to make sure im pointed in the right direction

the first one i have had setup for way over a year. at the time i wanted the benefit of a DSB and extra rock. i also liked the idea of having it gravity fed back to the main tank so the pods dont get turned into soup on the way to the main tank. the skimmer has motivated me to build a new stand/sump. i figured why not build a new stand for the fuge so the tanks will match. then being a reefer i figured why not take it to the next level and utilize the space under my fuge for a reverse lighted fuge..... stabilize ph more sand more rock :>

lizzardking said:
-is a mag 9.5 properly sized for this application? heating issues?
I would think the 9.5 would be fine. I ran one in a 75 Gal tank with no heat issues.

lizzardking said:
-should i change over my display's crushed coral substrate
I would go with sand. Just my personal preference though. It looks nicer/more natural IMO.

lizzardking said:
-how long will it take before the tank is back on line and ready for critters?
If you transfer as much water as you can from your existing setup you should be able to transfer them in a day or so. When I upgraded to my current 125 gal, I stuck everything in before the water even cleared up.

lizzardking said:
-is it possible to use bare bottom tank w/ live rocks and skimmer to set-up temp housing? i dont own any fancy corals....i have been trying like mad to hold off buying anythink till my setup is completed.
Absolutely. I put everything of mine in big rubbermaid containers with powerheads and incadescent bulbs ver them for about 4 days.

I documented my whole tank swap in this thread. Hope this helps.
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19003&highlight=tank+swap

Thanks! Yeah, I was pretty stressed when I did it (as I'm sure you are now). If you want to check the tank out sometime let me know. I've even got Crestron control on it :D. Just temp and lighting control though...But it's still pretty cool.

Welcome to the club.
I would do a Bare bottom on the display tank, and a 6-8" sand bed in the fuge. Save you a lot of headache when you want to increase the flow without sand around.

i was thinking about doing just that but i decided that it is more important for me to keep some fish in my dispaly and will there for need some sand in my dispaly for pod growth and burrowing etc. i wont need a deep layer. i was thinking of 2-3''

does anyone suggest laying down some plastic light defuser material on the bottom before a sand layer to help keep rocks from hitting the bottom?

Back