New to the hobby/Have a question

rottinggore

Non-member
Im new to this i've been researching saltwater for a year now and got my first tank. Its a 37g. Now the question is a scooter blenny hard to feed like mandarinfish?

from what ive heard people say it can be hard and it can be easy. with you being some what new i would wait on having on. mpo

Ya i'm gonna start simple. Was just curious cause i have heard mixed reviews as well. There so fun to watch. Thanks.

:w to the BRS.

Unfortunately I have never kept a scooter blenny so I can't help you there. Hopefully others will chime in with their experience.

Welcome to the forum! they r easy to keep..provided they r not in competition for food...they are slow to eat like the manderin & as they pick at food & small amounts they like to do so all day long...so pretty much....you need an established tank. These fish will do best if you have a lot of mature live rock in your tank with lots of copapods and other "critters" that they feed off of...sure there are other foods to supplement their diets that they may take but a majority of their time is spent combing rock and sand searching for 'pods'.

HTH,
B

We have two in our high school tank, but it is 220 gallons and there is plenty of live rock (about 300 lbs) The scooter blenny's roam around the tank picking up loose food on the rocks and the sand. They are slow eaters, but continually forage all day. They have gotten bigger since they were introducted to the tank about four months ago. The mandarins are also very picky in what they eat. I raised copapods and gave the the young nopillae from that hatching as well as a bit of mysis shrimp that they would pick at. They are slow eaters and hard to keep unless the tank is really establsihed. Both Carolina Biological or Conn valley biological sell copapod starter kits where you can grow them in a two liter bottle. This is a bit tedious, but we wanted them to be well fed.

Back