Question on getting out of hobby

mrcote1

Non-member
Hi everyone,

The time has come again where I am going to be looking at selling my whole system. Im sure Ill be back again some day.

People who have left the hobby before, what was the easiest way to sell off everything? A total sell off of everything as a package including fish and coral? Or piecing everything out?

Thank you

Depends on what's included and if someone's looking for a turnkey system.

I would come up with a whole system price, and part-out item pricing, put it all out there, and see how you make out with interest. Maybe give whole system price a sell by date, so you can move on if requests for items come in. This seems to be the way I have seen these things go.

Selling it all in one shot would be easiest. The trick is finding that person who wants to or can afford to pay your price.. the cheaper you sell it the easier it is.

I think everyone starts off at " entire setup no parting out" but ultimately sells off live stock then equipment. Everyone is looking for a deal so be prepared for ridiculous offers and hope to get at least get 50 percent of what you paid.

Thanks for all the inputs! I wanted to post the full system but I figured that would be a monster of a job having to transfer a tank from one locarion to another without losing any fish or coral. Is it challenging to move an entire system like that?

As others have mentioned, it would be ideal to sell everything to one person, but the reality is usually different.

You're probably better off selling any livestock/coral first, then try selling all the equipment at once. Deal with parting out later if that doesn't work.

Be prepared for super-lowball offers, people asking you to deliver, people disappearing, etc.

I'd suggest, as you said you'll be back, to keep items that you can store. Especially bigger cost items (lights, skimmer, etc.). You're going to take a beating selling these, and would just have to buy them again later.

The other hard part will be pricing. Like I build all sorts of furniture on the side and I have a very nice stand and canopy I built. I have No clue what people would pay for that. Equipment sales (that i dont keep) probably 50-60% of what it costs new sound about right?

Thanks for all the inputs! I wanted to post the full system but I figured that would be a monster of a job having to transfer a tank from one locarion to another without losing any fish or coral. Is it challenging to move an entire system like that?
It can be done easily, with planning. Clear area, make at least whole system volume of water at new location to temp and SG, get coolers, move corals / inverts out first in clean water from system, then rock, then fish, in system water. Then, with remaining water on sand if there is sand, stir it all up, so detritus is suspended in the water, then strain out the sand while mixing it all around before taking scoops out. Get rid of that slop, clean /scrub tank and equipment when at new home with freshwater, set up tank, replace sand, then rock, then fill, acclimate corals then add, then add fish.
Useful to have plumbing and spare parts (hose, pipe, clamps, whatever you use) already in hand in case breaks happen, and the tools and glue required.

GLWS sounds like a good setup. I hope you end up keeping it.

+1 on what others have said already. I HATE the lowballers But they are here!

I like to haggle a bit Enjoy it. I'm not rude about my offers.

We all know what its like in this hobby.

Why would you try to take advantage of someone in such a vulnerable position as this.
Having to part with something that takes a lot of effort, time, and caring.

Wonder how they would feel in the same position???

Depends on the setup and what you’ll take for it, and what your timeline/time is worth. Honestly, put a feeler up for the whole thing, but I’d start parting it out from the livestock as soon as you can. Get the most valuable pieces sold, and package the rest to move at a low price - better than throwing it out, and maybe you can get someone started with a bunch of stuff for cheap.
figure out what equipment you want to keep, sell everything else in the same manner as the livestock. In the end, you’ve got a barebones tank/stand/sump/plumbing package which can usually be moved for the right price. This is how I sold off my system before moving here, and I got it all done in about a month. I did have to deliver the tank and stand an hour away, but was worth it to recover a decent chunk of the cost of the stand/custom tank. GLWTS.

Hopefully I don't get the itch to start another setup right after selling everything. I feel like the most exciting part of the system was setting everything up and watching everything grow and filling out.

Hopefully I don't get the itch to start another setup right after selling everything. I feel like the most exciting part of the system was setting everything up and watching everything grow and filling out.
This is probably true for many people.

After the initial build, treasure hunt for corals, and grow out, what remains is ongoing maintenance, ongoing testing, ongoing expenses to keep the tank going, and, of course, sitting back and enjoying the tank.

Back