New wide flow Tunze 6095 nanostream (2500gph)

Bobbofin

Non-member
I was sick of Astrea snails climbing into my MP40 and busting the shaft once or twice a year, constant whine noise or vibration no matter how much I adjusted it. I went and ordered the new Tunze 6095 Nanostream wide flow powerhead, the new 7092 two pump wave controller and a 7094.05 night sensor. Very comparable to a MP40 as far as wide flow and performance. You can hook two nanostreams to the new controller in single, alternating and syncronized mode. B ordered me the items and they should be in next week. I'll post a review compared to my Vortech once I get it. The cost is $360 compared to $465 for a MP40. The cost for two 6095 Nanastreams, the 7092 controller and the 7094.05 night sensor is $630 compared to $930 for two MP40s.

Last edited:
I have never had any snails climb into my MP pumps, neither the MP10's or the MP40's. Maybe I am just lucky. Did you turn off your MP40's for some reason during the day, such that it allowed the snails to go in? I had Tunze pumps before and while I did like them for some reasons, I sold them and got my MP40's due to the low profile nature and wireless control. The Tunze's I had were controlled by my Apex and that was find, but programming them was not as easy as the Vortech's.

Look forward to reading your experience and photos of before and after would be interesting also.

I have never had any snails climb into my MP pumps, neither the MP10's or the MP40's. Maybe I am just lucky. Did you turn off your MP40's for some reason during the day, such that it allowed the snails to go in? I had Tunze pumps before and while I did like them for some reasons, I sold them and got my MP40's due to the low profile nature and wireless control. The Tunze's I had were controlled by my Apex and that was find, but programming them was not as easy as the Vortech's.

Look forward to reading your experience and photos of before and after would be interesting also.

I would be watching television or wake up and here this banging sound only to find a astrea snail part way into the pump and the prop slamming against it's shell. They are not smart enough to just back out. Three times in a year and a half I find the pump in green/red error mode with the shaft broken and an astrea snail inside it. I've had enough along with the constant whining sound in "blue" wave mode (can't use this mode cause of this) and the re-adjusting due to vibration. I think that a lot of Vortech owners are in denial. They don't want to admit they have buyer's remorse because of the amount of money they've spent and owning this pump is a bit of a status symbol. After my experience with Vortechs which was somewhat good as far performance with some drawbacks I decided I can't take the drawbacks of this design anymore.
I actually find the programming of the Vortech stupid with the three buttons and colored LEDs given how much these things cost. Especially if you have more than one pump in master/slave mode, the power goes out and you have totally re-program them. What a PITA! From my vast experience with equipment programming Vortech's colored LED programming system is nothing more than a laddered programming system minus an actual LCD display. Why would you use this system given how cheap a 2x12 LCD display is? If ATI Sunpower Dimmable (expensive)and AquaticLife (cheap) can put a cheap LCD display on their T5 units why, oh why, can't Ecotech put one on the EcoTech driver and put a cheap $3 button battery to hold the memory if the power goes out? The performance of Vortechs are exceptional but some of their design features leave me scratching my head.

Last edited:
actually my astreas go in front of my mp40 once and awhile and it makes a rattling noise like the pump and wet side arent aligned properly i just pull the snail off

Bobbofin: I have been lucky so far then. I have had more than a few anemones go into the Vortech's and that wasn't a good thing. Only one time did it cause mass extinction in the tank. When a Seebae anemone went in and became a tank full of stinging cells, I lost 4 fish, who obviously got too many stings in their gills etc.

The foam filters that come with the Vortech's are useless in my opinion. The get clogged with debris very easily and must be cleaned constantly, thus I don't use them....and thus, the anemone puree. I have to say that the Tunze's have a finer plastic grid for their intakes and I never had a problem with anemones getting chewed up like with the Vortech's. They should make the intake grid finer and I am sure that would eliminate the issue.

My Tunze's were surprisingly noisier than my MP40's. The MP10's were very noisy.

I don't have the problem with the programming that you mention.....I control all of mine with my Apex and if power goes out, the Apex retains its ability to control the Vortech's upon power restoration.

My Tunze's also had problem staying on my glass, but I think that I may have had a bad magnet. One was just fine and the other would fall (1/2 inch glass & 6105's).

Good luck and like I said, it would be nice to hear of your experience with the new Tunze's.

so how do you like the tunzes? I was thinking about changing and ditching the vortechs

I had the old single pump 6091 controller, a 6055 Nanostream and 7094.05 sensor several years ago on another tank and I was quite happy with it. When I get the updated controller and new wide flow pump I'll post a review.

6095 is certainly not new. Been out for over 2 years now.
What makes you think snails won't go in the Tunze? I have both the 6095 and MP40 and snails try to go in them the same frequency. They certainly can't get behind the propeller but do make very loud noise trying. Every now and then, I see snails shooting across the tank.

I've been running them for over a year now, never have issues with snail, I do run them with the front grid cover though so they can get in.

The only time I have had a snail in my MP40s (I have 3) is when I shut them down for awhile, and they climb in. Like I have stated many times before when they were on my 75, I hated them. The tank was 1/2in acrylic, and they were always loud, and I was breaking the backing plate. The problem with breaking was my own fault as I had the pin spacer set tighter than it should be so they would stay put, that was a big NO-NO. Since I have upgraded to my 120 with 3/4in glass they dont use a spacer, and they are dead silent. The one thing I dont like is they need to have the cord attached to a clip, because the thickness of the glass will cause them to move over time. Good luck with the Tunze, you cant go wrong with them.

I reveived the pump, controller and sensor yesterday from B so here's my review.

The new 6095 comes with a nice wide opening like a MP40 for wide flow and a snap on screen to keep the snails out. The pump is rated at 2500gph. The pump is pretty much silent. In wave mode, which I use, you can barely hear it click on and off. You can set pump for 12, 15, 18, 20, 22, or 24 volts at the transformer box via a jumper. I have the 18 volt jumper in because I only have a 24" tank and in wave mode the water was splashing at 24v and coming out of the tank. I like that adjustibility of adjusting the lo/hi range before going to the controller. It adds another level of adjustment.

The new 7092 controller is simple set and forget. For .3-2.0 second wave mode simply press the button and hold the button and let go, when you have the wave you want press the button again. For pulse set the speed 1 & 2 dials then the - or + button for 2-8 seconds at each speed before switching to the other speed for alternating pulse mode. I have the optional 7094.05 night sensor so when it senses the lights are out when in pulse mode it switches and stays in speed 1 (the lower speed). In wave mode it turns off the pump completely at night. Another nice feature of the controller is that in has plugs for two pumps and jumpers inside the controller to change it from syncronized and to alternating. So what ever pump one is doing, pump two will be doing the opposite.

This controller only costs $73.96. For a person with a 75 or 90 gallon tank two of the smaller 6055 pumps, a 7094 controller and a 7094.05 night sensor would only cost about $550 or $630 with two of the 6095 pumps compared to $930 for two mp40s. The only thing bad I can say about the controller is that I wish it had random flow like "reef crest" which the MP40 has instead of just pulsing between a lower and higher speed. This combo gets the job done with about 80% of the functionality of an MP40, much better than any other offering from Hydor and 1000% better than an AC pump connected to a wave maker.

Last edited:
Back