Promised review of Tunze 6095 wide flow, 7092 controller & 7094.05 night sensor

Bobbofin

Non-member
I reveived the pump, controller and sensor yesterday from B so here's my review.

The new 6095 comes with a nice wide opening like a MP40 for wide flow and a snap on screen to keep the snails out. The pump is rated at 2500gph. The pump is pretty much silent. In wave mode, which I use, you can barely hear it click on and off. You can set pump for 12, 15, 18, 20, 22, or 24 volts at the transformer box via a jumper. I have the 18 volt jumper in because I only have a 24" tank and in wave mode the water was splashing at 24v and coming out of the tank. I like that adjustibility of adjusting the lo/hi range before going to the controller. It adds another level of adjustment.

The new 7092 controller is simple set and forget. For .3-2.0 second wave mode simply press the "wavebox" button and hold the button and let go, when you have the wave you want press the button again. For pulse set the speed 1 & 2 dials then the - or + button for 2-8 seconds at each speed before switching to the other speed for alternating pulse mode. I have the optional 7094.05 night sensor so when it senses the lights are out when in pulse mode it switches and stays in speed 1 (the lower speed). In wave mode it turns off the pump completely at night. Another nice feature of the controller is that in has plugs for two pumps and jumpers inside the controller to change it from syncronized and to alternating. So what ever pump one is doing, pump two will be doing the opposite.

This two pump controller only costs $73.96. For a person with a 75 or 90 gallon tank two of the smaller 6055 pumps, a 7094 controller and a 7094.05 night sensor would only cost about $550 or $630 for the set up with two of the 6095 pumps compared to $930 for two mp40s. The only thing bad I can say about the controller is that I wish it had random flow like "reef crest" which the MP40 has instead of just pulsing between a lower and higher speed but it basically gets the job done. It is random when it goes from one speed to the other. But I use it in wave mode and it does fine without a wave box even if the button is label "wavebox" on the controller. I could not use my MP10 or MP40 in "blue" wave mode. The constant whining noise from the sry side spooling up and down sounded like crickets had invaded my livingroom. This combo gets the job done with about 80% of the functionality of an MP40, much better than any other offering from Hydor and 1000% better than an AC pump connected to a wave maker.

Last edited:
Pro & Cons of Tunze compared to Vortech

Vortech pros and cons:
  • no wires in tank
  • compact size
  • true random flow in reef crest
  • pumps slow down in night mode
  • noise in wave mode
  • snails can climb into & break shaft
  • vibration and re-adjustment of wet & dry sides
  • confusing three button, blinking colored LEDs for programming especially with more than one pump in slave/master mode
  • loses memory during power failure, have to reprogram

Tunze pros and cons:
  • strong magnet mounts (be careful, ouch!)
  • redesigned clamps don't break anymore
  • new vibration dampers limit noise
  • great wide flow of new 6095 comparable to MP40 (2500gph)
  • two 6055 (1500pgh) great for two pump set up
  • noiseless in wave mode
  • simple controller
  • single controller can control two pumps in sync or alternating mode
  • pumps slow down or stop completely in night mode
  • two pump set up is 40% less than two MP40 pumps
  • cords in tank
  • 70mm/2.75" size of pumps

Last edited:
If you have the 7096 controller you can do a random mode just like reef crest. The 7096 is Setup via a pc. There are 3 modes pulse, interval, and sequence. Each mode has its own setup with power and time intervals, also storm mode is the equivalent to nutrient export mode, and also a feed mode.

"a 7094 controller and a 7094.05 night sensor would only cost about $550 or $630 for the set up with two of the 6095 pumps compared to $930 for two mp40s."

I can't find the 7094 controller for sale..looks like they have been discontinued. Which controller would work with 2 6095s?

If you have the 7096 controller you can do a random mode just like reef crest. The 7096 is Setup via a pc. There are 3 modes pulse, interval, and sequence. Each mode has its own setup with power and time intervals, also storm mode is the equivalent to nutrient export mode.

Yup, but there is a $125 price differance between the 7092 and the 7096 and you have to hook it to a computer to change the settings on the 7096. For someone with a tank smaller than 90 where they're only going to have two pumps anyways the 7094 is a great option. The 7094 controller I have fits my needs for $73.96. I like how they combined the wavebox function into the new controller, basically combining the old 6091 and the 7091 into a single unit. And the wave adjustment is sweet! Much better than the old 7092 or an MP40. Just press the wavebox button, hold and let go, when you get the desired wave press the button again and your done. You don't need a wavebox to use this function. So simple! No computer, no blinking colored LEDs.

Last edited:
"a 7094 controller and a 7094.05 night sensor would only cost about $550 or $630 for the set up with two of the 6095 pumps compared to $930 for two mp40s."

I can't find the 7094 controller for sale..looks like they have been discontinued. Which controller would work with 2 6095s?

My bad, the new controller is a 7092, the old one was a 7091. The new one adds two pump functonally and one button wave adjustment. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
There's less than $100 difference between the 7092 and 7096, I think you we're looking at the 7095 which is in the $200 range. I only have a 57 rimless and the setup of the 7096 is easy USB. I just mentioned the 7096 to show that you can do a random reef crest and NTP mode with these pumps. I ran 2 MP40s on my 90 for over 2 years, I like the small in tank foot print they have but overall I like these better with how much you can dial in the flow to what and where you want it.

7092 replaced the old 6091, support 2 pumps and an auto tune for wavebox. 7091 can control 2 pumps as well but no wavebox function.

There's less than $100 difference between the 7092 and 7096, I think you we're looking at the 7095 which is in the $200 range. I only have a 57 rimless and the setup of the 7096 is easy USB. I just mentioned the 7096 to show that you can do a random reef crest and NTP mode with these pumps. I ran 2 MP40s on my 90 for over 2 years, I like the small in tank foot print they have but overall I like these better with how much you can dial in the flow to what and where you want it.

Just checked online. The 7095 is $278.75 and the 7096 is $169.22. Tunze does MAP pricing, same price for everybody. The 7092 suits my needs at this time.

Have 2-6105's and a 7096 coming in Wednesday.................cant wait.
Was a long 3 week battle between Vortech and Tunze,but like all the Threads come down to, it's what suites "your" tank :)

I am seriouly thinking of switching to the 6095 Wide Flow Tunze. I have never been that impressed with my MP40s. I think the flow from them is more of a thin stream then wide. And they can be noisy when on more then 3/4 speed. Plus I am not sure I agre with all of the hype of all of the different modes.

Just my opinion.

I am seriouly thinking of switching to the 6095 Wide Flow Tunze. I have never been that impressed with my MP40s. I think the flow from them is more of a thin stream then wide. And they can be noisy when on more then 3/4 speed. Plus I am not sure I agre with all of the hype of all of the different modes.

Just my opinion.

There's a bunch of reviews online of the 6095. They pour dye into it to show the the flow comes out at a 90° angle, extremely wide. I like that I can aim it, no whining noise over 3/4 speed in wave mode. It's a little large compared to a MP40 and there's a wire in my tank, I'll get over it. My MP10 & MP40 drove me crazy with that chirpy whining noise in "blue" wave mode from the dry side spooling up and down quickly, the mode I actually wanted to used. I thought my livingroom was being invaded by crickets.

Attachments

• Tunze-6095-versus-6055.jpg
    Tunze-6095-versus-6055.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,807
Back